S3 8L second hand prices

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
Its not something I check ordanarily, but recently I was looking up prices for another vehicle yesterday and thought let see how much S3's are going these days and to say the least I was shocked.
Most on auto trader where between 6 to 10K. I think i only saw a couple for much less.
So basically that got me thinking are these cars really getting sold at those values? Pity we dont have a regsiter of sales like we do with houses.
Based on what I saw i might need to up the value of my car when it's insured next time in December because whether they sale for that amount or not insurance companies will probably look them up on auto trader matching the year and mileage as close to your one before they offer you any sort of money, unless I gues you have put a lower valuation on it...if it came to that situation.
In the old old days, you used to be able to get your car on an agreed valuation polices with limited annual milage - anyone have one of these? if I remember corectly all you had to do was send pictures to the car club who would give you confirmation of its value.

Upping the value of your car with the insurance company makes no difference unless its a 'guaranteed valuation'.

But mark1 Cupra R are double the price since 4 years, as they are pretty rare after so many kids bought and killed them.

Reactions: SaintWill
Upping the value of your car with the insurance company makes no difference unless its a 'guaranteed valuation'.

But mark1 Cupra R are double the price since 4 years, as they are pretty rare after so many kids bought and killed them.
Interesting, so if i insure my car with a value (my own valuation) for £3K and in reality similar cars are going 75% higher according to auto trader I would still get the higher amount?

Interesting, so if i insure my car with a value (my own valuation) for £3K and in reality similar cars are going 75% higher according to auto trader I would still get the higher amount?

I wouldn't have thought so, unless you fought for it, certainly wouldn't be offered.

Only way to get a guaranteed payout is an agreed valuation but then you have to prove that your car is worth what you are suggesting before the valuation is agreed.

I'd take the autotrader values with a pinch of salt, based on the Facebook groups things are much slower, undoubtedly the prices have risen the last few years. Nice examples seem to be around the 5-6k but then you have the lower end of the market where the cars look pretty poor condition and they are asking 4k but they don't seem to be selling that quickly.

I would say, the problem with the S3 is they are good mile munchers so the majority now have north of 160k on the them, I think the wear the miles well and if I was in the market, it wouldn't bother me but people still see "high" miles as an issue, personally I would be buying on condition when looking at 20 year old or more cars, rather than the mileage.

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Those that are listed for mental money aren’t selling for that. Not a chance.

As said above, the Facebook groups will give you a much better indication of the current market as cars are bought and sold much more frequently.

I would say those needing lots or work are probably fetching between £1-1.5k, essentially breakers where there’s money to be made. Those with standard mileage for age (150k give or take) that aren’t rust buckets are probably around the £3.5k mark. Slightly lower mileage in decent shape probably in the £5k region.

The odd special car, very low mileage, desirable colour, single owner, FSH etc will fetch strong money, but you still need to find the right buyer, no easy task for a 20 year old Audi.

Having just had a quick look on Autotrader, I see someone has put a silver 85k mile example up for £14,500. Laughable. I can only assume they have no interest in actually selling - he/she won’t get half that.

All that being said, if you’re looking to get an agreed value with the insurance, now is probably a great time. Just screenshot some of the asking prices from these dreamers!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Ian W
The car is getting on a bit (as we all are) so commands a price, also I always think these were one of the last true S cars with flared arches and extra bits which you couldn't buy to pretend its an S3.

Reactions: Ian W and Charlie Farley
The car is getting on a bit (as we all are) so commands a price, also I always think these were one of the last true S cars with flared arches and extra bits which you couldn't buy to pretend its an S3.
Agreed.
I do also think there is an element of overly inflated used car pricing at play here across all types of used cars etc, everyone sees prices on the up and jumps on the bandwagon and wants twice as much, a bubble that will soon burst in my opinion.
That said the earlier generation S & RS variants across the model ranges have always been very desirable and sought after especially well sorted and presented examples.

Reactions: SaintWill and Ian W
First thing I see on my Facebook feed today. Standard mileage, looks to be in decent shape, very desirable colour, long MOT etc.

Asking £5k - I’d hazard a guess that it’ll likely to sell for around £4500.

Without inspecting the car, looking through the history etc, that seems like a fair asking price. I don’t think that’ll take too long to sell.

Based off Autotrader it’s probably a 10k car!

Attachments

• IMG_3476.png
    IMG_3476.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: Ian W
I expect you will depending on when you bought the car, and how often you change insurance companies etc... usually they asked how much you bought the car for... not its current value.. and values change every day- in 12 months lidl changed their frozen pork escalopes from 2.59 to 3.99... I cannot demand to buy it for 2.59... and if you find similar cars for sale at a higher price you'll get more..

First thing I see on my Facebook feed today. Standard mileage, looks to be in decent shape, very desirable colour, long MOT etc.

Asking £5k - I’d hazard a guess that it’ll likely to sell for around £4500.

Without inspecting the car, looking through the history etc, that seems like a fair asking price. I don’t think that’ll take too long to sell.

Based off Autotrader it’s probably a 10k car!

That was sold 24 hours later so for nice examples, there is a strong market for them.

Interesting that facebook has been mentioned. I'm not on facebook.
Does anyone now or been in the unfortunate position to get an in insurance offer on their car based from facebook? I always thought they would look up a similar vehicle on autotrade, the closest to you too or am i beingh old school?

For what it's worth guys i bought my 80K mile Met Black 2002 BAM back in March for £7.5K as i wanted a stock / original example for no other reason than it's just what i prefer (currently battling with 'removing' a past Stage 1 map that's sending the car into low-boost / limp due to the dreaded P1555 fault). I'm restoring it to OEM including the map and i'm almost there.

I appreciate many on here (most probably) are right into modding them and why not, but i would imagine the slightly 'higher worth' cars are going to be the rarer 'original' ones like mine. I tend to attract more attention from non-enthusiast people unlike us mainly i suspect due to it being stock, so you get the 'i used to have one of those back in the day' brigade coming up for a chat in petrol stations, supermarkets etc.

Like you guys say i've been watching them on Car & Classic, Autotrader etc and i think the £10K+ asking price ones are way too expensive and most ads seem to have been there as long as i was looking for mine (around a year, give or take). Loads of people say it's a future classic and all that but i've got my doubts (whatever future classic actually means) as they were mass-produced and pretty popular in the noughties so plenty around even now in 2023, and i doubt very much they'll ever get into fast Ford or Lancia Delta territory of £50K+ lol they were never that good IMO.

Still enjoy owning mine as a relatively affordable fast old Audi but i doubt i'll be retiring on the proceeds!

For what it's worth guys i bought my 80K mile Met Black 2002 BAM back in March for £7.5K as i wanted a stock / original example for no other reason than it's just what i prefer (currently battling with 'removing' a past Stage 1 map that's sending the car into low-boost / limp due to the dreaded P1555 fault). I'm restoring it to OEM including the map and i'm almost there.

I appreciate many on here (most probably) are right into modding them and why not, but i would imagine the slightly 'higher worth' cars are going to be the rarer 'original' ones like mine. I tend to attract more attention from non-enthusiast people unlike us mainly i suspect due to it being stock, so you get the 'i used to have one of those back in the day' brigade coming up for a chat in petrol stations, supermarkets etc.

Like you guys say i've been watching them on Car & Classic, Autotrader etc and i think the £10K+ asking price ones are way too expensive and most ads seem to have been there as long as i was looking for mine (around a year, give or take). Loads of people say it's a future classic and all that but i've got my doubts (whatever future classic actually means) as they were mass-produced and pretty popular in the noughties so plenty around even now in 2023, and i doubt very much they'll ever get into fast Ford or Lancia Delta territory of £50K+ lol they were never that good IMO.

Still enjoy owning mine as a relatively affordable fast old Audi but i doubt i'll be retiring on the proceeds!
Attention is normally given to our cars where they quite simply look good!
Now those could be standard or fully extra loaded - and sometimes looking at them you dont know how much they have been 'extra loaded'.
Some may just have different alloys, exhaust note that sounds good, mirror finish paintwork, unusual/rare paint colour, can do -60 in 4 sec (not that you could tell looking or listenting to it!) .
Basically all the above would make me give 'that car' attention.
Plus I suppose we have also given attention, probably the wrong sort of attention, to some that stand out so badly!

Reactions: SaintWill
Attention is normally given to our cars where they quite simply look good!
Now those could be standard or fully extra loaded - and sometimes looking at them you dont know how much they have been 'extra loaded'.
Some may just have different alloys, exhaust note that sounds good, mirror finish paintwork, unusual/rare paint colour, can do -60 in 4 sec (not that you could tell looking or listenting to it!) .
Basically all the above would make me give 'that car' attention.
Plus I suppose we have also given attention, probably the wrong sort of attention, to some that stand out so badly!
Good explanation and that's what I meant but didn't articulate it very well. Clumsy of me to say 'standard' but what I meant is cars done properly, tastefully, well maintained and clearly enthusiast owned (and obvious to anyone person remotely worth selling it to).

They're the cars that'll fetch strong money.

P.s. I'm not that OCD about mine being stock, just that when I picked it up it was 90% there already with heaps of main dealer hisrory so I thought I'd do a resto-mod type thing.

I've had Trups @ EM Tuning do his LED conversion which is pretty much essential on these cars it seems.

A professional alcantara steering wheel job is another great little mod, make that standard wheel feel souch better.

A stage 1 that came with the car it seems (although giving me tons of grief) so it may go back to a stock map still yet I'm still deciding.

Reactions: stevie e

So... you are trying to pretend this car is unmolested, any serious buyer will know that you've reverted a modified car back to stock looking... and that will not be attractive, as you're hiding something..

Serious enthusiasts wanting to modify a car want stock cars for the only reason that the components have been well within their manufacturer operating range.. why do you thing the TT QS is only 243bhp... its easy to get another 20 bhp with just a map, but other issues will start to occur, 5, 10 years later?

Sorry, not trying to prend anything, didn't mean it to be misinterpreted.
Of course it's got history but it's just that I wanted to get it at least looking original again, it's just a hobby and I'm not taking it that seriously.
I'd tell any buyer everything I knew about it but it's not for sale anyway I like it

So... you are trying to pretend this car is unmolested, any serious buyer will know that you've reverted a modified car back to stock looking... and that will not be attractive, as you're hiding something..

Serious enthusiasts wanting to modify a car want stock cars for the only reason that the components have been well within their manufacturer operating range.. why do you thing the TT QS is only 243bhp... its easy to get another 20 bhp with just a map, but other issues will start to occur, 5, 10 years later?
In fact you've just convinced me. Another forum where 'seniors' just jump down your throat.

Cheers guys, last one out turn the lights off....

Why are you being a donut ? The guy has asked a genuine question! New owner ! Do you still own you yours ? It’s a Question!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In fact you've just convinced me. Another forum where 'seniors' just jump down your throat.

Cheers guys, last one out turn the lights off....

Don’t worry about certain comments. If you don’t ask a question, you won’t know!

Don’t worry about certain comments. If you don’t ask a question, you won’t know!

I think admin have, by - passed this one ! If you don’t ask . You don’t get , Stuart??. You have asked loads of questions on this website , .Tuffy , badger 5 etc . Your bang out of order!
The Man From Guatemala
Admin .if I’m wrong. I apologise!

Yeah, sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone.. but I'm not sure I jumped down anyone's throats.. and don't see how my answer is related to people not asking questions.. ?

But I do apologise if anyone misunderstood my point.