Joined finally... Hello Everyone!

fis

Reaction score
Been checking the forum for some time now and I find the community here quite friendly and helpful!
So, Hello and hope everyone is doing great!
I'm quite a B5 fan and willing to learn how everything works, as well as share my own experiences while doing so.

I own a B5 TDi AFN 110hp (in a chassis of a 2.4 petrol, preFace... I bought it swapped) as my daily driver.
It appears to be in all stock parts, and they did a pretty good job in swapping it.

It runs 'good' and is in a solid shape, however, it kinda feels that it doesn't match the AFN stock power!
The thing is that .. occasionally .. it does run "perfectly", has a very smooth engine sound and it just revs and pulls flawlessly.. it just makes your day :racer:
but most of the time, it has this kind of hesitation and 'feels' like something is slightly out of adjustment!

So I set the goal to study it and if lucky, bring it to a stock condition at first.
Then maybe, boost it just a bit ... for a bigger smile :playful:

Welcome! The B5 is becoming a rare beast now. What's the mileage?

Reactions: Sandra
Welcome. Any pics of the car?

Welcome! The B5 is becoming a rare beast now. What's the mileage?
~270k km ( ~170k miles ) on the clock... though there's room for doubt when there is a swap.. : ), there are no strict regulations here !!!
The engine feels solid though.

Reactions: daytonamart
Welcome. Any pics of the car?
Forgot that part..

I'll leave this here for now till I can get few more pics
 b5

Reactions: daytonamart and Sandra
Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

I started doing some minor changes on my free time.

I put a pair of b6 r16s in it since I love the look of them on a b5.
Would be great if they were a bit wider (because of the gap).. but anyway, I put them on winter tires and they're ok.

I decided I go bigger for summer tires and I really love the BBS Speedline-s on b5 (I'm old fashioned).
Found a pair of r18s.. but I'm not experienced in this and wasn't sure if I should put r18s on the stock AFN or not..
It's a daily driver and the road here is not to be praised! So I'd really appreciate any suggestions on this !!!

I went a bit safer for now and picked up a pair of r17 Aluett Rondell and they look great in it.. (will post the pics in the meantime)
and are wide enough to fill the void : )

Now, there could be many things wrong with the car, and probably needs
a lot (maybe just bits in a lot of areas) of work to bring it to the stock condition at first.

So I've been having various questions in mind already, but wasn't sure if I should post them here or in individual threads..?

Last edited:
I would stick with 17’s if ride quality is your priority. 18’s ride ok too, but not as good as the smaller wheel with more tyre. I also personally think the smaller wheel looks better when the car isn’t lowered anyway.

With regards to your questions, try searching the forum first as there’s a good chance it may have been asked before. But failing that I’d probably start a new thread.

Reactions: fis
I would stick with 17’s if ride quality is your priority. 18’s ride ok too, but not as good as the smaller wheel with more tyre. I also personally think the smaller wheel looks better when the car isn’t lowered anyway.

With regards to your questions, try searching the forum first as there’s a good chance it may have been asked before. But failing that I’d probably start a new thread.
Thanks mate!
It doesn't beat the looks of 18s tho :p ... but yes, potholes all around! I might stick to 17s.

Regarding lowering.. In the back I installed new shocks, springs, brake rotors, calipers, bearings. I'm quite happy with it!
.. but for some reason the car sits higher in front. I thought it was some kind of incorrect spring installed by previous owner!!
I got a pair of new springs (stock specs) but no difference.. still high in front. And I like the gap as it is on the back: same all around.

Any ideas what would it take to do the same in the front wheels, as I have no idea how to approach this issue?!

You can see it here ...
 b5