S3 coolant woes

ShEp1.8t

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice.

I have a 2014 8v S3 on 73k miles. Coolant bottle, and matrix replaced 2 years ago due to burst silica bag, car has been fine up till recently.

I am getting regular low coolant warnings on the dash, when I stop the car and check the coolant and take the cap off the coolant level rises to above the minimum level.

I tried running it with the cap off and the heaters on to try and get rid of any trapped air and it just spat a load of coolant out, it seems to be circulating but I'm not 100% against the thermostat being faulty or the radiator being blocked. Just seems a little strange. I guess worst case is the head gasket but it doesn't seem to be mixing and the coolant is a good colour. I originally thought I had a leak with the warnings coming on.

Anyone else had a similar issue? I've read some advice about replacing the cap/bottle but I replaced this around 2 years ago
IMG20230520204923

If you are losing coolant it’s most likely the thermostat/water pump housing. I had mine replaced at 3 year old and it’s looking like same thing is happening again at 5years old. It’s a common problem on all ea888 gen 3 engines so all the 1.8/2.0 with all different power outputs.
I think someone meant in on here that the part number revision is at L that’s says there’s lot of diff versions out there.

Reactions: JohnM100 and ShEp1.8t
My car was doing something very similar (2016 S3). Had a low coolant warning. Topped up. Could not find a leak but could smell burnt coolant. Dealer says new thermostat and water pump required. £1,663 but fortunately the car has an extended warranty. A far cry from my 54 year old Morris Minor where a new thermostat housing, thermostat and water pump would be less than £100.

Last edited:
My car was doing something very similar (2016 S3). Had a low coolant warning. Topped up. Could not find a leak but could smell burnt coolant. Dealer says new thermostat and water pump required. £1,663 but fortunately the car has an extended warranty. A far cry from my 54 year old Morris Minor where a new thermostat housing, thermostat and water pump would be less than £100.
It’s an electronic thermostat/water pump. Think the part alone is £500+ and at least 3-4 hours labour. From the looks of the location it’s a cow of a job due to the location of it. Not saying it’s justified at £1500+. It’s a known problem that’s why the part has had so many revisions.
should be a recall or campaign but Audi knows most likely the car will be out of warranty by the time it fails.

So after doing some research, fairly confident it's the water pump/thermostat,

I can do this myself, and get the parts through trade, anyone else know if the audi part is of any better quality that aftermarket?