Window Trim Removal

J0N

Reaction score
ec94654d83af0dab943039206d1583bc.png

Does anyone know how to remove the window trim from the rear door of a 2014 saloon?

As you can hopefully see, mine isn’t sat fully down and it’s refusing to push back in. A (very) quick search on Google found a procedure on a Q7 where the door card has to come off to gain access to some clips, is this maybe the case with the S3?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havnt done one on the 8V tbh but it's probably the same as others, pop glass out & gain access to the inner door chassis, it's probably got plastic retainers that push into the door, plastic spreader types, then they lift of, the issue is they easily become misshaped due to to the design which is basically a compression push for over the door tops, so removing usually makes them a pain to get straight nicely again, probably best to get a replacement to fit as if it goes pear shaped you end up with door in bits & nothing to replace with.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’m going to have to try something, it’s now the first thing I see when I leave the house!

I could do with a picture of the trim when removed but I’m struggling to find one…

Been a long time since I stripped a rear door down, but from memory VAG cars of that time were just push-fit on the outer lower window trims. The images in this eBay listing suggest to back that up

With the window out. prise it up gently, and with it removed you might try squeezing it a little so it grabs tighter. I would also try bending it ever so gently back the other way but you must be very gentle with it so as not to kink it (not that it's fragile, but push too light and you'll do nothing; push too hard it'll just kink without warning). I remember on some cars seeing a thick kind of tape over the metal lip at the top of the door skin so when these were pushed on that had something a little malleable to grip tightly to, rather than a completely unflexible and smooth piece of painted metal.

Thanks for the that, it’s appreciated. With this and some other info I’ve gathered I now know the way forward. Cheers.

Thanks for the that, it’s appreciated. With this and some other info I’ve gathered I now know the way forward. Cheers.

Has that door been repaired? Looking at the pic on my phone it looks a different shade and if so maybe the trim was removed at the time of repair. It’s also reflecting the light differently than either side.

It had a little dent repaired as part of its prep and yes, the colour is not quite right. (Shoddy work from an Audi main dealer body shop). The car is going back for some bits including the door but I wanted to try and sort it beforehand because its irritating me. However if the glass has to come out and the trim is so easily damaged it leaves too much margin for things going wrong. If that happens it becomes my problem and that isn’t what I paid for.

It had a little dent repaired as part of its prep and yes, the colour is not quite right. (Shoddy work from an Audi main dealer body shop). The car is going back for some bits including the door but I wanted to try and sort it beforehand because its irritating me. However if the glass has to come out and the trim is so easily damaged it leaves too much margin for things going wrong. If that happens it becomes my problem and that isn’t what I paid for.

No it’s all down to the dealer, stand firm and insist that it’s done properly to a high standard and make sure that they replace the trim, good luck with everything

Reactions: J0N