Exhaust valve 3.0tdi

MattyV5

Reaction score
Hey, I fancy fitting an exhaust valve to
My 2014 3.0tdi just to see if I can get a little more noise from it. I’m thinking of adding it before the exhaust splits into 2, so I assume on the pipe that leaves the CAT… anyone know what size that is?

matt

will make no difference whatso ever unless you have the dpf gutted/removed and the same with cat

You'll get very little noise increase with a stock DPF in place. I'd save the money and put it towards gutting the DPF + a remap to accomodate if you really want a noise increase. If you do gut the DPF (or remove it entirely with a straight pipe), your mufflers are then the last thing to be holding back the V6 growl.

Ok fair enough, I don’t want to mess with dpf’s and cats as they are MOT failures. Seen a few videos with just a straight pipe and they seem to show a noise increase?

As in, a straight pipe from front to back? That would certainly be classed as DPF + Muffler delete. These cars don't have any middle boxes or resonators, just the DPF and the two mufflers at the rear. For MOT purposes as of right now, DPFs and mufflers are visual checks, and if the car is mapped properly, can pass emissions just fine with them removed. However, i'm not saying that makes it legal to go and do, because naturally they're supposed to be fitted.

While this won't suddenly make the car louder, modifying the air box valve flap on these 3.0TDI models does produce a bit more roar at idle and above - that diesel induction noise, though it's not night and day. Remove the flap, keep the actuator fitted and plugged in, and you get a bit more air at lower revs being sucked in, which measurably helps a little up to about 3,000RPM, which is roughly when it normally opens to allow more air WOT.

Dpf and cat remain, just removal of the 2 back boxes is what I’m looking to bypass.