Modifying MMI Button Remapping

GodricTM

Reaction score
I own an Audi A5 2009 b8 HNav model and I've been wondering if it's possible to hack the MMI (Multi Media Interface) system or create a custom version. My goal is to add functionality to the MMI menu, specifically the ability to enable or disable a certain function linked to VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) without having to plug in a laptop.

Ideally, I'd like to have an option in the MMI menu to control the parking light, rather than relying on VCDS. Additionally, I'm curious if it's possible to assign this function to a currently unused button on the steering wheel.I think it’s possible if you have an android head unit where you can use a button remapper, but I don’t .

I've heard of tools like ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic Information System) and VCDS that professionals and Audi dealerships use for diagnostics and modifications. Is it possible to leverage these tools or employ a script to achieve a custom menu? Green menu is great but there’s no option there for what I need.

If anyone has knowledge, advice, or recommendations on whether this modification is possible and how I can go about it safely, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

As far as I know no one has hacked the MMI firmware or even the maps.
You may have luck with a raspberry Pi and some CAN sniffer software and try to remap the button pushes. Depends on how much effort you want to put in.

Reactions: GodricTM
As far as I know no one has hacked the MMI firmware or even the maps.
You may have luck with a raspberry Pi and some CAN sniffer software and try to remap the button pushes. Depends on how much effort you want to put in.
I’m not really familiar with raspberry Pi , sounds too complicated wouldn’t know even where to start , I thought there might be a way with Odis maybe since it’s more in depth than vcds . Thank-you very much for you help.