My New S3 Imola Yellow

Jazzle

Reaction score
So after wanting one of these for the best part of 10 years or so, the opportunity arose and I took advantage of it. It has started life as a 210 and after seeing inside the bonnet has some engine modifications. I'm going to have a proper look tonight at what's actually fitted to gauge if what's been changed is worthwhile keeping or replacing.

Sadly, not been loved massively over the years but I want to resurrect it before its too far gone.

Its done 126000 miles and seems to have a pretty good service history with it. After picking it up, I've discovered its been remapped as I had a BAM 225 TT before and this thing feels QUICK. I do have a list of things that need sorting out, but will get done gradually as I want this being able to enjoy many more miles and being appreciated for many years to come.

• Noise from engine bay under hard boost/pressure. Cant work out if its a leak somewhere causing a high pitch noise or vibration. I get no power loss but don't want to push it hard until its sorted. If I steadily go through the rev range without flooring it it stays boosted but wont make the noise, its only under higher load.
  • Indicators have gone a bit iffy. Believe this to be the Hazard relay switch
  • Door cards have decided to allow the leather to come away so will need reattachment
  • Alloy wheels are all Battered from kerbs and all sorts
  • Paintwork all round has bits and pieces here and there, but again will be getting these bits done after the more important mechanical side is done.
  • Air con is hot and doesn't blow cold
  • Interior light panel only works on the big button and not the individual reading lights
  • Headliner is sagging in the rear
  • Speakers sound like they only really produce quality from the rear and not the front. It has got an aftermarket head unit so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
  • Various bits of trim a bit iffy. Storage flap under AC panel doesn't shut, Cup holder doesn't pop out unless its banged
  • Spare key is flat
These are some of the bits that spring to mind at current. It feels like there is quite a bit to do with this, but I couldn't allow it to be broken for parts or abused further.

None the less, I'm planning on getting this back to its former glory by starting with an interior valet at least tonight to try to enhance the interior appearance.

Attachments

• IY.jpg
    IY.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 206
  • IY1.jpg
    IY1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: Charlie Farley, Jcbmally, Terminator x and 3 others
Looks great and certainly one of the best colours, always good to see another being saved.

I'm sure you will have many WTF am I doing with this car moments but IMO they are a great modern classic.

Good luck and keep your thread going with updates!

• Noise from engine bay under hard boost/pressure. Cant work out if its a leak somewhere causing a high pitch noise or vibration. I get no power loss but don't want to push it hard until its sorted. If I steadily go through the rev range without flooring it it stays boosted but wont make the noise, its only under higher load.
SO this issue I believe I managed to resolve (as it seemed the worst) last night.

I checked around all boost areas to see if anything was damaged or loose. The TIP didn't seem to be properly pushed on so after a clean and a refit I made sure it was. I then checked the top of the turbo and elbow pipe to discover the broken jubilee clip and slightly split hose at the bottom. This will need replacing imo but has so far been ok in a temporary measure. The noise has now gone so no more leaks.

• Door cards have decided to allow the leather to come away so will need reattachment

Had a little look at this and I think someone before has put some form of adhesive to try and stick them down. Either way looks horrible and sticky underneath. I have managed to press the leather up into the door car to secure them so they are no longer sagging. I will be getting some new ones at some point and will probably tackle that at the same time as the Bose front speaker issues.

Interior had a good clean too with some good help from the boss! As you can see there was areas of mould and more dirty areas. The seats got treated to a good scrubbing too and removed that dirty sheen that leather attracts. The picture of the seat base you can see the part in the middle is now more of a Matt finish opposed to shiny so has made it look a lot newer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230621_192613681.jpg
    IMG_20230621_192613681.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230621_184025531.jpg
    IMG_20230621_184025531.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20230621_212109568.jpg
    IMG_20230621_212109568.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20230621_184532821.jpg
    IMG_20230621_184532821.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230621_195541608.jpg
    IMG_20230621_195541608.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230621_191008154.jpg
    IMG_20230621_191008154.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Jcbmally and Ian W
Great progress! Door cards are quite easy really, remove the leather and clean all the crap off and then use ScrewFix no nonsense adhesive, sorted!

Wheels are being done today and ready for tomorrow.

Annoyingly took it for the gas to be recharged to get the AC cold. They couldn't do it. Apparently it took the gas but wont blow cold air. They also said they wouldn't be in a position to diagnose it....

Wheels are being done today and ready for tomorrow.

Annoyingly took it for the gas to be recharged to get the AC cold. They couldn't do it. Apparently it took the gas but wont blow cold air. They also said they wouldn't be in a position to diagnose it....
Be curious to see what you find out. Not sure if there is a specific common problem that they go wrong with. I've noticed with mine these hot days when i have gone to use it, it was blowing warm air. I took it to halfords about 2 years ago for a top up thinking i had a problem then. they could not see anything wrong after refilling it and they thought the air coming out was cool enough. When i tested around those days it was a bit cooler, but then again the outside temperature was cooler!

@Jazzle love Imola Yellow. Look forward to progress and more pics

Be curious to see what you find out. Not sure if there is a specific common problem that they go wrong with. I've noticed with mine these hot days when i have gone to use it, it was blowing warm air. I took it to halfords about 2 years ago for a top up thinking i had a problem then. they could not see anything wrong after refilling it and they thought the air coming out was cool enough. When i tested around those days it was a bit cooler, but then again the outside temperature was cooler!
Once i know i will certainly post up. Other issues have now arisen after 1000 miles and its first week or so of driving.

There is a fuel issue somewhere down the line. As its getting low It has now twice just died on me and yesterday the gauge started moving from 15 - 75 miles up and down quite quickly. I am running it on Super unleaded, but hoping to give it a scan to see if anything comes to light.

Wheels have been refurbished now too, so looking a lot more stock.

Attachments

• S3 wheels ref.jpg
    S3 wheels ref.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 111
Reactions: Jcbmally and Ian W
I assume you've already bought a lead and downloaded free vcds lite or odbeleven?

I assume you've already bought a lead and downloaded free vcds lite or odbeleven?
Funny, im due to do this at some point this week. There is definitely going to be issues, i know this and would rather get them sorted sooner rather than later. I went to fill up the washer bottle yesterday, and it poured out the bottom as quick as it was poured in the top :(

I do keep finding things, but will surely get it all back on track.

Funny, im due to do this at some point this week. There is definitely going to be issues, i know this and would rather get them sorted sooner rather than later. I went to fill up the washer bottle yesterday, and it poured out the bottom as quick as it was poured in the top :(

I do keep finding things, but will surely get it all back on track.
That could be that when someone has had the bumper off they haven't clipped the headlight washer pipe back on properly, had a similar issue on one of mine and it was an easy fix.