2.0T Rear Coolant Flange Advice...

Reaction score
After loosing coolant on a weekly basis I knew this job was on the list.
Not a problem, with the excellent guide provided by Rob, all the tools on hand 2x of each required part ordered, just in case :thumbs up:
Started to get on with the job yesterday, it's fiddly and access was tight but I kew that so what could wrong?

All of the cable ties around the vacuum pump were cut so I assumed someone has been in here before. The problem is
that someone has stripped the head of the bottom vacuum pump bolt!!!!

I gave up for the day after changing the coolant sensor for a new one with a new o-ring and clip as it looked like the source
of the leak.

So the question is. Can the flange be changed without removing the vacuum pump?

It can but its just a tad more challenging.
Normally is prudent to change the flange and all other connections to the flange as 9 times out 10 they will all be leaking or about too, so better replace the lot rather than have to come back later and do it all over again.

Reactions: NHN
I’ll keep an eye on it this week and probably change it at the weekend Rob.

It should be a fun afternoon.

You may need multiple cups of tea and biscuits too, or maybe something stronger. Lol

After months of topping up coolant I finally got round to replacing the flange on Friday.

Yes it can be done without removing the pump.

It is quite challenging, some might say a right pain the backside :salute:

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Gmac
good news you are all sorted on this fix:thumbs up:
yes it is a bit of a struggle, if i was doing it again i'd opt to remove the cam chain timing cover along with the vac pump.
once the bolt locations are familair and with the right tool its a quick removal and has all benefits of a much more user freindly work space and visual fix.
Given the slow progress it takes doing it the normal way , by rmoving a few more bits makes a big difference and can be quicker overall.
After the cam chain timming fiasco i can get the covers off really quickly

I'll have to get the pump off eventually as it's only a matter of time until the chain tensioner needs doing. It's a shame that a previous
owner or mechanic stripped the head of one vacum pump bolt.

That's a fun job for the future!