2010 A3 Navigation unit problems

Besameculo

Reaction score
The navigation unit is not reading the disc and the error message is on the screen. I knew it was a problem before I bought the car but I want to try and sort it out even though I might not need it. The Disc will not eject and and I can hear a clicking when the radio is off like it's trying to do something. If its not reading the sat nav disc I don't hold much hope of it reading a music CD either. Any thoughts chaps?

Disc is either scratched or the drive is damaged, laser head dirty, if dvd won't eject it needs coding to allow ejection before you can address the issue more than likely.

Disc is either scratched or the drive is damaged, laser head dirty, if dvd won't eject it needs coding to allow ejection before you can address the issue more than likely.
It ejected fine the week before I bought the car, I'll ask how she did it. If I manage to get it out I'll run a disc cleaner through it.

Disc cleaner isn't much help, you need to get a cotton bub with spit or cleaner & rub across the laser lense multiple times until the bud ends are clean, it's burnt on grime that requires moisture to make removable, a brush disc isn't good for this.

Disc cleaner isn't much help, you need to get a cotton bub with spit or cleaner & rub across the laser lense multiple times until the bud ends are clean, it's burnt on grime that requires moisture to make removable, a brush disc isn't good for this.

I think you are right about the liquid cleaner but I'd like to not remove the whole unit from the car to get at it if I can. I have plenty of long nosed tweezers and the like but trying to do it through the disc slot is going to test my gynaecological skills a bit....and it's been a while..... :smirk:

Not a chance of that happening, it's got a very slim slot, you can't get tweezers in there as well as a plastic protective cover internally & lots of metal chassis parts in the way you have to remove the unit & take the lid of & use a bud or 2 sliding though the plastic case from the read to wipe over the head.

Do not try this any other way or you could damage more.

Not a chance of that happening, it's got a very slim slot, you can't get tweezers in there as well as a plastic protective cover internally & lots of metal chassis parts in the way you have to remove the unit & take the lid of & use a bud or 2 sliding though the plastic case from the read to wipe over the head.

Do not try this any other way or you could damage more.

Yeah tried it and the disc was spinning and the tweezers caught the edge of the disc so stopped in case I did more damage. Do I need special tools to remove the unit or can I bodge my way around it?

Yeah buy the correct radio keys kit on Amazon or eBay.
Radio keys arrived, took unit out and top off it today. Managed to see it working and Laser head was tracking along the disc trying to read it, managed to get the dic out as eject button wasn't working. Have cleaned the laser and it was filthy. Disc looks damaged so still not reading, have removed disc to stop the unit constantly clicking away trying to read it. I'm sure there was another disc for Europe with all the paperwork and books but can't find it at the moment. I'll make do with google maps and my Navigator if i need to find anywhere. Thanks for all your advice. :smirk: