A4 Steering Wheel Vibration at low speeds

Avant09

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Avant 2009 Sline 2.0l TDI and get vibrations on the steering wheel when turning at low speeds or reversing and wanted to see if this is normal or something that I should be concerned about.

I've had the wheels balanced and changed the power steering fluid and but still having this issue.

Thanks

Usually vibration can be linked to brakes such as seized caliper piston, but discs should be hot to touch even if you haven't used the brakes after 10-15 mins, or indeed suspension related, upper or lower arms, however that would usually be a clunk over uneven roads.

Have you ruled out the actual wheel bearing and CV joint? Jack the car up and rotate the road wheel. Any lateral movement (grab the wheel at 10-to-2 position)? Bearings usually reveal themselves with a rumble noise at around 40-50mph. CV joints, then you'll get cracking noise at hard-lock. Again only way to identify is get the car checked-out. With this test you'll pick up worn tie-rod too.

Thanks for reply @spartacus 68,

I haven't noticed any clunks when driving on uneven roads, and also not done any checks on the wheel bearing and CV joint. I’ll get it checked out though.

Thanks