Hi, I am new here. Does the Audi S1, have a known Clutch issue? - Thinking of buying one..

Beanboy

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. Does the Audi S1, have a known Clutch issue? - Thinking of buying one..

I test drove an Audi S1 yesterday at a used car supermarket..
It had 53,000 on the clock
While out on test drive I put it in 4th gear while not moving very quickly 20 -25 mph to see if the clutch slipped, it seemed o.k - (Does this seem a good way of testing the clutch?) - I also tried it in 5th gear

Do there seem any other major issues with the S1, it seemed a nice car tbf?

TIA

The clutch is considered a weak point but it is on many EA888 engine cars. At 53k it may well have been done already. If you remap then it's highly likely it'll need to be uprated. It's not universal though some people re-map on standard clutch and are fine.

Only other major issue, again common to all EA888 Gen3 engines is the water pump/thermostat failure.

Try and buy as new as possible and it's worth steering clear of 2014 cars. Ask yourself why the car is in a supermarket, how much paint work has it had? Does the interior look like it's had a hard life?

They're great cars, just ensure you get a good one.

Reactions: Beanboy
Does the 2014 model have more issues than older ones ? Fingers crossed but apart from the clutch being replaced by Audi at 27K (eventually settled as a warranty claim) and the water pump/thermostat it's been great tbh

Does the 2014 model have more issues than older ones ? Fingers crossed but apart from the clutch being replaced by Audi at 27K (eventually settled as a warranty claim) and the water pump/thermostat it's been great tbh
Not really, they're just knocking on a bit and lots of parts were revised in 2015. Spec was bumped a bit (and a lot later) so whilst not a massive material difference, for the price difference now it's worth looking at laterexamples.

OIC, you had me worried then, mine has a canny spec and still drives great, and I think it still looks good too, were there any revisions to major parts or just spec items ?

OIC, you had me worried then, mine has a canny spec and still drives great, and I think it still looks good too, were there any revisions to major parts or just spec items ?
Sorry! Not my intention. There were quite a few updates to various parts of running gear, undoubtedly some were uprated but could be a simple as a new supplier or something similar. Often revisions were to resolve issues causing warranty repairs. Otherwise 2014-2018 cars can be considered as identical.

No need to apologise at all, TBH my S1 is the best fun car I've ever owned and I really hope it lasts for another 7+ years, makes me smile a lot :icon thumright:

Reactions: Phazer
The clutch is considered a weak point but it is on many EA888 engine cars. At 53k it may well have been done already. If you remap then it's highly likely it'll need to be uprated. It's not universal though some people re-map on standard clutch and are fine.

Only other major issue, again common to all EA888 Gen3 engines is the water pump/thermostat failure.

Try and buy as new as possible and it's worth steering clear of 2014 cars. Ask yourself why the car is in a supermarket, how much paint work has it had? Does the interior look like it's had a hard life?

They're great cars, just ensure you get a good one.
Thanks ;-)

I wondered what was particularly an issue on the 2014 cars?

Cheers,