Brake upgrades -front and rear-options

swisstony

Reaction score
Over the course of the last 4 weeks of owning the car I have noticed two things . Mostly on the front but slightly on the rear as well, there is uneven wear on the discs. No lipping but certainly a section that seems to be uneven. Also the feel through the brake pedal on the fronts is not as good as I expect so I imagine the pads/discs are past their best.

So looking at options and after some advice . On the front are factory Brembo floating two part. Not sure what pads. Now for the fronts I could do
Option 1. Replace entire assembly, pads and discs with ebay , roughly £700. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15294383...IAiLzV/XxiGBA4fRFe+Bea2CNg==|tkp:BFBM3ML1yaRi
Option 2. Replace just the discs using my existing bells, with new OE bolts etc. I favour the j Hook design from Reyland. http://www.reyland.co.uk/audi-front/
These are £374 but I would need to source some pads. So the question is what is the best pads for fast road ( no track) , they suggest anything but Ferodo.

The backs I will tackle later
cheers

Worth checking the pistons are all free and working normally .
The 8 pot calipers are known for sticking pistons.
Uneven disc wear can be due to uneven pad pressure, also can give less than perfect brake pedal operation, sticky pistons , and it only needs to one of two can be to blame.
Worth checking the disc runout and thickness with wear limits , you may have enough meat left to get away with light skim rather than buying new ones.

Last edited:
On my old 8V I was running Reyland discs with 2500 pads.
When I swapped the discs for new Reyland items I decided to try DBA pads.

These pads do take a while to bed in though, around a 1000 miles I found, but once they did I found them very good

03e9cf251406f03bc6b31faaff738943.jpg

dccbb81c721a2c4c2c750f164a80fe79.jpg

f2e3018c42b7f4ca37b8b75d32cdde17.jpg

5254180a8df2513a1752860c2d824280.jpg

0e3be156939b9797376f96ba8c291b7c.jpg

There are rebuild kits for the 8 pot Brembo available which consist of new pistons/seals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: swisstony, flybynite and Charlie Farley
Worth checking the pistons are all free and working normally .
The 8 pot calipers are known for sticking pistons.
Uneven disc wear can be due to uneven pad pressure, also can give less than perfect brake pedal operation, sticky pistons , and it only needs to one of two can be to blame.
Worth checking the disc runout and thickness with wear limits , you may have enough meat left to get away with light skim rather than buying new ones.
Good points all round rob. How do I know if the pistons are sticking ? Assume its just a case of removing the two pins and the centre section and then remove the pads and see if I can press the pistons back with a lever ? I had thought about skimming the discs if that was a third , certainly cheaper

On my old 8V I was running Reyland discs with 2500 pads.
When I swapped the discs for new Reyland items I decided to try DBA pads.

These pads do take a while to bed in though, around a 1000 miles I found, but once they did I found them very good

03e9cf251406f03bc6b31faaff738943.jpg

dccbb81c721a2c4c2c750f164a80fe79.jpg

f2e3018c42b7f4ca37b8b75d32cdde17.jpg

5254180a8df2513a1752860c2d824280.jpg

0e3be156939b9797376f96ba8c291b7c.jpg

There are rebuild kits for the 8 pot Brembo available which consist of new pistons/seals etc.

Superb reply, thank you . The pad combination certainly sound a good option. Out of interest what torque wrench is that as been looking to add one to my toolbox and only need a 3/4" one

Good points all round rob. How do I know if the pistons are sticking ? Assume its just a case of removing the two pins and the centre section and then remove the pads and see if I can press the pistons back with a lever ? I had thought about skimming the discs if that was a third , certainly cheaper
whip out pads and see if the pistons all move back in with ease , do one at a time , then put the pad back and see if they all move out ok.
pads themselves can gives clues on the angle of wear in some cases but not always conclusive with 8 pot calipers.
If the wear on a specific pad is noticeable that will narrow down which ones to look at.

Reactions: swisstony
Just keep in mind that pads don't wear down exactly the same amount on a given caliper, they should be very close but may not be the same, but any noticeable wear is a reason to look deeper.

Reactions: swisstony
whip out pads and see if the pistons all move back in with ease , do one at a time , then put the pad back and see if they all move out ok.
pads themselves can gives clues on the angle of wear in some cases but not always conclusive with 8 pot calipers.
If the wear on a specific pad is noticeable that will narrow down which ones to look at.

On the 8 pots you’ll find the pistons are out a little anyway upon removing pads.
Very easy to test movement of each piston, a gentle push on one will tell you all you need to know, I’d take one of the 4 pads out and test those 2 pistons, this way you’ll avoid stressing about ‘popping’ any of the others out of their bores lol.

Reactions: swisstony and Charlie Farley