Brake light issue

Bryant1998

Reaction score
I have aftermarket rear lights (fitted long before I bought the car) and recently the rear left brake light (LED strip) stopped working, the main-rear/indicator/reverse/fog all worked still.
I cleaned the scale off a couple of connections on the brake light and cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner but that didn’t fix it.
I bought another unit, plugged it in and same fault… unplugged the right side to compare, cleaned it, refitted and now that brake light also doesn’t work (other functions still work)
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car has likely logged you unplugging it and stored the fault, which means it won't try to even power the light until the fault is cleared or after a few ignition cycles. If you have a diagnostic tool try scanning for faults and clearing the ones for the lights if they are present.

The car has likely logged you unplugging it and stored the fault, which means it won't try to even power the light until the fault is cleared or after a few ignition cycles. If you have a diagnostic tool try scanning for faults and clearing the ones for the lights if they are present.

Hi mate, I have tried myself with a Carista scanner and they reset the codes at the garage on the proper scanners, but it won’t clear them. (It’s also only the brake lights which don’t work, the rear lamps/indicators etc still work fine)

Make sure the connectors are properly seated. If the car won't clear the faults it's likely because its test is still failing.
If you switch the headlights on do the rear lights also come on?

Make sure the connectors are properly seated. If the car won't clear the faults it's likely because its test is still failing.
If you switch the headlights on do the rear lights also come on?

Yeah the test is still failing, both side brake lights will flash but then do nothing else (upper/middle one still works)
Yeah the rear lights come on, the indicators etc all work
Been to a garage with vcds tonight and apparently nothing wrong with coding, the plug is only showing something like 2.7v when they’re looking for 5v

I can’t make sense of the wires in the loom plugs (from the car).
They have different colours on each side and I can only figure out what 6 of the 7 wires actually do… earth/main/indicator/fog/reverse/brake and a random extra wire

I wouldn't chase the voltage issue as if the car thinks there is a fault it won't bother to send enough voltage to turn it on. I can only think that there is a poor connection to the light for the brake only and that is causing the error. Try to chase the wire back and see if there are signs of wear or rubbing perhaps?