SQ5 SQ5 auto dimming side mirrors

Rob_the_postman

Reaction score
Hello folks, looking for some advice. I have a 2016 8R SQ5 with heated door mirror glass, I’m wanting to replace them with auto dimming mirror glass. Is this achievable? Simple case of plug and play or is there a lot of wireing changes required? The car already has an auto dimming rear view mirror if this makes a possible retrofit any easier. TIA

Is it a big job? Do you or do you know anyone that could do it for me or give me a guide on how it’s done?

big enough job yes if a) you not familiar with removing trim panels, multiplugs etc. and b) if you don’t have access to wiring diagrams

I done it on my old 8P A3 but that was years ago and was quite involved as I was still new to retrofitting.

plenty of folk out there can do it for you, I can only suggest people in northern ireland as that’s where I’m at

ps - you do know how expensive the glass is?

big enough job yes if a) you not familiar with removing trim panels, multiplugs etc. and b) if you don’t have access to wiring diagrams

I done it on my old 8P A3 but that was years ago and was quite involved as I was still new to retrofitting.

plenty of folk out there can do it for you, I can only suggest people in northern ireland as that’s where I’m at

ps - you do know how expensive the glass is?
I’m based in Yorkshire, so if there’s any VAG auto electrician’s based in the Yorkshire/Lancashire area I’d be interested in a quote.

I located a pair of mirrors for under £150 but unfortunately they were slightly bigger than the actual mirror housing, fortunately the seller offered a return service. I’m wondering if the physical mirror housing has to be replaced as well or was it just a case of wrong mirror glass for my model of SQ5.

I hold my hands up, I’m quite the amateur but very willing to learn with the right guidance

It's a bit of a faff but done it quite a few times for clients, I can install them but all comes down to economics mate, given you're about 4 hours drive from me, but happy to take it on.

It's a bit of a faff but done it quite a few times for clients, I can install them but all comes down to economics mate, given you're about 4 hours drive from me, but happy to take it on.
Hi NHN, thanks for the response, these are the wires coming from the mirror housing, what needs to be changed?

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpeg
    IMG_2643.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2644.jpeg
    IMG_2644.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Has to be wired through the doors to the rear view, which needs specific wires & entwine with existing loom plus fit the correct pinned ends in the door connector, basically 4 pin connections needed, door module, to door hinged area to rear view.

Of course you could check if there's any wires in the mirror already & it may need less, you'd have to check this by yourself of course or pay someone to do for you.