B7 2.0tfsi engine removal, easy way or hard way?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok chaps.
With the impending engine removal, I wanted to see what the recommended or tried and tested method of removal is with the gearbox attached.
2.0tfsi quattro.
I've seen a few vids and they all seem to vary a bit, some say forget it as a DIY job and others seem to miss parts out.
With that in mind, any tips on which method to use, I have no probs with the task but I suspect as with most things there are "ways" and "ways" of tackling the removal.
any feedback would be gratefully received.

rob

Some suggest removing with the main engine loom, ecu still connected and others favoured the opposite.

I removed mine, just left box in car saved messing with all driveshafts,

front end off car (think i left air con pump in car so no need to regas) and with front end removed so no need to lift it so high.

Dont remember what i did with loom to be honest, i belive it stayed in the car.

This was before i had a ramp so just on drive, dont remember it being a bad job the 2.0 is tiny really in an a4 so theres loads of room.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I did consider just the engine but I need to do the clutch as well so will be easier to take the whole unit out completely. :thumbs up:

Front end off the car is the best way for B7

This is way mechanic done engine replacement for me on a TDI.

Photo 2023 08 02 000811

I did consider just the engine but I need to do the clutch as well so will be easier to take the whole unit out completely. :thumbs up:
exactly, you will be separating the box from the engine anyway, i actually did my clutch too at the same time, as its bolted to the engine your sorted :chuncky:

I did not remove the complete front end as the pics i believe i lowered the rad packs slightly (prob removed rad but left air con rad on floor?) so as to avoid de gassing the air con, give loads of room though as the pic shows.