Filters…

rngDeadeye

Reaction score
Love the turbo flutter on lift off so was thinking of a panel filter (for now) so I can hear more. IIRC there are issues with some filters that use oil etc.

is there a safe panel filter replacement that increases the turbo related noises that are safe for the car?

Reactions: Daggerit
Love the turbo flutter on lift off so was thinking of a panel filter (for now) so I can hear more. IIRC there are issues with some filters that use oil etc.

is there a safe panel filter replacement that increases the turbo related noises that are safe for the car?

Not sure how to quantify the ‘safe’ part but I threw in a BMC panel filter and you can hear the turbo a bit more for sure. Not as much as a cone filter would be of course, but more than the stock filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s await the ASN troll………

Not sure how to quantify the ‘safe’ part but I threw in a BMC panel filter and you can hear the turbo a bit more for sure. Not as much as a cone filter would be of course, but more than the stock filter.

I meant safe as in the oil perhaps affecting the MAF (if it has one)

I meant safe as in the oil perhaps affecting the MAF (if it has one)

It doesn’t measure air that way.

It measures by pressure.

Reactions: rngDeadeye and Daggerit
It doesn’t measure air that way.

It measures by pressure.

I got what he was meaning, just have no idea if the oil might affect the MAP like it might a MAF so was just giving my experience.

I got what he was meaning, just have no idea if the oil might affect the MAP like it might a MAF so was just giving my experience.

Lol I replied to MR deadeye

In fact be careful with foam filters.

The pipercross ones can start to fail at the seam edges and expose the staples that are used in assembly, you wouldn’t want these sucked into the turbo.

It's a pretty well universal question asked by owners of many brands of car chap so you are not alone.
Performance panel filters such as K&N etc require a small amount of specific oil to be carefully applied to act as a catching medium to prevent small particles from getting past the more open flow structure of these filters.
I use one without issue but the cleaning and maintenance procedure does need to be followed carefully to prevent unwanted oil from being drawn into the induction system, which can in turn find itself depositing on everything inbound inc the MAF sensor, pretty well anything down wind of the filter will get a coating of oil if its not done properly and too much is applied.

Its not rocket science to be honest but like most things, do it properly the first time and evrytime.

Here is a pipercross foam filter

bf0f223e590f15d59af66e9c252d9dfc.jpg

7e8c1b9206eb348bc51ab155db59cc30.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: rngDeadeye and Charlie Farley
Not being lucky enough to have been an RS3 owner i can't really comment on how the Pipercross panel filter compares to K&N filters with regards to quality and operation, but , the like for like offering for my B7 old bus are noticeable.
The K&N panel filter is by far a better-constructed product and is still in very good shape after 5 years of usage and regular washing etc, whereas the pipercross was a much more flimsy and poorly constructed product, but that maybe just the B7 platform product, maybe something to keep in mind.

Not being lucky enough to have been an RS3 owner i can't really comment on how the Pipercross panel filter compares to K&N filters with regards to quality and operation, but , the like for like offering for my B7 old bus are noticeable.
The K&N panel filter is by far a better-constructed product and is still in very good shape after 5 years of usage and regular washing etc, whereas the pipercross was a much more flimsy and poorly constructed product, but that maybe just the B7 platform product, maybe something to keep in mind.

I ran the BMC filter on the 8V for a while but swapped back to OEM as there were zero gains on the Rolling road.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
That sounds about right, very marginal gains on most turbo cars, my B7 didn't sound much different and didn't really set my backside on fire with performance gains.
Just did it for the sake of things really.

Putting aside the question of performance gains from free-flowing filters, any increase in sounds from the intake may vary from car to car, a free-flowing filter will offer a slight increase in sounds, how much is entirely down to one's expectations, but personal choice really.
My old b7 bus had a lot of sound insulation inside the factory airbox so even with a free flow filter it sounded the same, remove that rubbish insulation and it was a bit louder but not compared to a NA induction engine.
Still everyone has their preference. :yahoo:

Given the factory bhp from these cars, a free flowing filter alone is very unlikely to make any noticeable difference to performance , but sound wise see how you go.

Given the factory bhp from these cars, a free flowing filter alone is very unlikely to make any noticeable difference to performance , but sound wise see how you go.

I think it is well known the OEM paper filters do flow incredibly well and I don't bother with anything else. Induction sound will come more from an intake rather than a panel filter. A lot of it is Placebo with these things too IMHO but nothing wrong with that if it works.

But you have to take these things in context, I remember a comment saying Eventuri were dreaming if they thought their intake would add 50bhp (or whatever the gain claimed at the time)

This is the issue, NO it will not add 50 bhp to a 400bhp car, that's not how it works but it is entirely possible it could take away a 50bhp restriction on an 800bhp car compared to the stock intake.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Agreed, paper filters do work very well, most engine air intake and filter designs are very well designed for their said application, manufacturers spend a lot of time working out optimal flow for a given engine and performance, hence why I never make any assumption on a turbo base performance increase from the air box/filter alone, as part of a combined package of mods yes but as a single factor, no.
On a NA engine then that's a different conversation.
But hey,we all like to mess around with our cars and air filter are no exception. :yahoo:

So after all that, it was the wrong one. Thanks Google you POS.

What do we think of this?

It would probably be fine but I'm always just a bit weary of foam filters personally.

Alternatively, I can give you the BMC part number for our cars if you decide to stick with a panel filter because I know that it definitely fits. :thumbs up:

So after all that, it was the wrong one. Thanks Google you POS.

What do we think of this?

Go for a pro ram (by ram air) filter instead, it’s cotton but not oiled like the K&N.

I used for 8,000 km dry panel filter from Sprintfilter more efficient than BMC and K&N . I recommend it . You won't feel any turbo flutter though . I have been using Eventuri for a few weeks . With this yes the turbo flutter is really very noticeable .

Attachments

• 20230101_201627.jpg
    20230101_201627.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
I used for 8,000 km dry panel filter from Sprintfilter more efficient than BMC and K&N . I recommend it . You won't feel any turbo flutter though . I have been using Eventuri for a few weeks . With this yes the turbo flutter is really very noticeable .
Ah, thanks. That saves me bothering with a panel filter!

This one?

Have you any experience with it?

They do a pro ram panel filter but if it’s flutter you want then you need a cone intake like that. That’s just the box and cone though not a full kit like the one I had.

I haven’t used that exact one but the Airtec one I had used a pro ram filter. Probably the same for all cone filter tbh to get the flutter effect.

That was the one I had, £575 full price. Was on the car for about 200 miles, £350 delivered if of any interest.

But either way, a proper intake is a must in my opinion, transforms the car. Much more than an exhaust.

Reactions: Frankel and Anyname
I've got the airtec on mine and love it!

Reactions: garethdj
Got any sound clips?

Let me have a look, might have some but probably won’t do it justice. Just a video of my legs inside the car whilst moving and trying to film haha. Doesn’t really do anything stationary because of the soft limiter.

Let me have a look, might have some but probably won’t do it justice. Just a video of my legs inside the car whilst moving and trying to film haha. Doesn’t really do anything stationary because of the soft limiter.

Roughly where are you based in the country?