What programming is required when swapping steering wheel?

SVTunit

Reaction score
I am swapping my steering wheel from the round (US version) steering wheel to a custom flat bottom wheel. I know I will lose lane assist (which I have turned off as I hate it), but is there any programming required via OBD11? Thanks in advance for any help!

RS3 picture21

Why will you lose lane assist?

Our S3 has the flat-bottom and the RS the round and both have that infuriating feature.

Why will you lose lane assist?

Our S3 has the flat-bottom and the RS the round and both have that infuriating feature.
I think by Lane Assist (LA) he actually means Lane Guidance (LG) as they're different systems. The LA is the annoying one that fires up every time you start the car (but one of the first things I stopped with OBD11 when I got the car), where as LG is the one that's only active with adaptive cruise being on and will do full steering round corners and things rather than just vibrate and try to fight you back in lane when you get close to the edge.

LG uses sensors in the steering wheel to make sure that you're still holding it and those are deleted when you swap from a round to flat bottomed wheel and so the system can't be used anymore I believe. Why they can't, or won't, put the sensors in a flat bottomed steering wheel I'm not sure, but it's just the way they do things.

Hope that helps, makes sense and is actually all correct. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: rngDeadeye
I think by Lane Assist (LA) he actually means Lane Guidance (LG) as they're different systems. The LA is the annoying one that fires up every time you start the car (but one of the first things I stopped with OBD11 when I got the car), where as LG is the one that's only active with adaptive cruise being on and will do full steering round corners and things rather than just vibrate and try to fight you back in lane when you get close to the edge.

LG uses sensors in the steering wheel to make sure that you're still holding it and those are deleted when you swap from a round to flat bottomed wheel and so the system can't be used anymore I believe. Why they can't, or won't, put the sensors in a flat bottomed steering wheel I'm not sure, but it's just the way they do things.

Hope that helps, makes sense and is actually all correct. :tearsofjoy:
Yes, thank you for clarifying. I installed the wheel, but now get an "Audi SOS" service not available error message. I can confirm the annoying Lane assist still works.

Reactions: drgav2005 and Daggerit
Yes, thank you for clarifying. I installed the wheel, but now get an "Audi SOS" service not available error message. I can confirm the annoying Lane assist still works.
Correct, swapped mine out and i have a permanent Audi SOS symbol that doesn't go away and you lose the active lane centering but everything else works fine. Driven on my new wheel for 3k miles and no issues.

Its an easy one:

I fixed that on OBDeleven, just change the Emergency assist variant to Not coded and it will work.

Wait does this just remove the SOS error or does it actually allow active lane centering to work again?
It won't allow the active lane centering to work as the flat bottomed wheels DO NOT have the required sensors and can't be retro fitted. This will just get rid of the SOS feature that is based on those sensors detecting if you are still holding the wheel.

I actually have a spare flat bottomed wheel that is new if anyone is interested, I'll pop it on the classifieds under a reserved sale if anyone is. Hope you are all enjoying the car as much as I am :)

Reactions: drgav2005
It won't allow the active lane centering to work as the flat bottomed wheels DO NOT have the required sensors and can't be retro fitted. This will just get rid of the SOS feature that is based on those sensors detecting if you are still holding the wheel.
Ah got it, thanks for the information!