Air Con - Receiver Dryer

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
I've read all over the Web that the air con receiver dryer needs to be replaced every 2 years or the most 3 years. Does anyone actually do this?
Or do most wait until the compressor is dead and change them as a pair?

Is it fairly straight-foward to change or is it very difficult hence why its not regularly changed.

I changed mine when I changed the pump... as why not... other than that its never been changed that I know of in the time I have owned the car... my A2 is still on its original...

2-3yrs seems excessive seeing as you need to drain the system down each time to change it and its not in the easiest place to get to

<tuffty/.

Reactions: thegoal007
There's obviously a lot of crap stories out there too.
Another one is air con should be recharged every 2 years.
Our old Fiesta MK5 was like freezer for the 20 years we owned, never done anything to the AC. Pity I can't say the same about my audi.
I'm getting the pump changed and specifically asked them to change the Drier too as the garage did not mention that was being changed.

For some reason the air con pressure switch is not working now. compressor and drier replaced. the switch is a good one.
Do these things have their own fuse?system does have the air con gas full up and holding.
Obviously the front hadd to be taken off to do the job, could there be plug not put back in properly?
Does it need vagcom to see and clear any errors?

just for information to others in future and the answerr to my own issues above...Turned out to be a broken wiring. fixed and now working.

Reactions: Ian W and jojo
For some reason the air con pressure switch is not working now. compressor and drier replaced. the switch is a good one.
Do these things have their own fuse?system does have the air con gas full up and holding.
Obviously the front hadd to be taken off to do the job, could there be plug not put back in properly?
Does it need vagcom to see and clear any errors?
Not possible to replace pump and drier without removing front? Can't be done from above and below?