VCDS: instrument cluster change: Radio code SAFE

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ever since I changed instrument cluster (properly fitted and coded by Audi), the radio always asks me for the code to be entered after each battery disconnect. Before the cluster change, the car never used to ask me for the code.

From the factory, the radios from 2000ish onwards (mine is 2003 model year) are married to the immobiliser so that if the radio is ever removed and refitted to the original car, or the battery is disconnected, the radio works straight off the bat - no code input required.

Since I’ve changed cluster, which means I’ve now changed immobiliser, I’m guessing that the radio thinks it’s in a different car which is why it’s always asking now for the code.

I took the car back to Audi and the techs said because I’ve changed instrument cluster the car will now always do this. Is that true?

I have full VCDS and was wondering if it’s possible to use VCDS to permanently tell the radio that this is now the car/immob it is connected to so I don’t have to always enter the code every time the battery is removed. Any advice would be appreciated if you’ve come across this before.

Thanks!

It's matches to the vin, not immo, so if it detects wrong vin it will ask, sometimes the clusters aren't fitted correctly, was it a brand new clocks or used, if used, they may have installed it as the used clocks previous vin they were fitted too, which is clearly a mistake.

Ideally need to check cluster has original cars vin 1st via diagnostics.

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Hi NHN,

Thanks for the reply. These were brand new clocks bought from Audi Tradition and fitted by my local Audi dealer. The mileage was done correctly and all my keys were matched properly.

Is it helpful if I scan my clocks tomorrow and post some info up from what I find?

Looks like you might be right, Nige.

The VIN number is correct (I blanked out some digits in Microsoft Paint), and that other number (circled in red) is the same as the original data sticker that was stuck onto the outside of my factory clocks (is that the immob?). The number circled in red though is suspiciously the same format and number of digits as my radio serial number. Is that a coincidence, or has something not been coded right? Or perhaps I just need to add my radio serial number to that second blank box that says "extra"? I’m just wildly stabbing in the dark here….!

Last edited: