A5 CCWA Hybrid turbo advice

Dannych90

Reaction score
Hi all I have recently purchased and fitted a new hybrid turbo, problem is I don’t understand wether what I have bought is good or not.. basically I asked the turbo manufacturer to make me something that can handle 400+ (with supporting mods tune etc) I’m hoping somebody on here may be able to decipher what figures Id be able to push this to. After fitting i had terrible lag and would underboost throwing me into limp mode, I took it to a pal who has mapped it in so I’m able to make use of the car daily albeit at a drastic loss of lower rpm power, this wasn’t a full tune as was at last minute and really just an effort to get me mobile without limp etc. The spooling comes in around 3-4k and once it gets going it pulls like a train but I will be getting it further tuned to hopefully expel some of the lower rpm lag and attempt to get it spooling quicker. I just wanted to know if anybody could take a look at my invoice which I’ll attach that shows the work undertook to my turbo. FYI the original housing is from a 2260vk TIA

Attachments

• 37A214E7-F43F-4DEF-80FA-113F9381787D.jpeg
    37A214E7-F43F-4DEF-80FA-113F9381787D.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 92
If it was spec'd to that power, you're going to have issues until it's tuned, ideally you need to tune it fully with the required mods fitted to alleviate your issues.

As for the turbo invoice, who supplied it.

If it was spec'd to that power, you're going to have issues until it's tuned, ideally you need to tune it fully with the required mods fitted to alleviate your issues.

As for the turbo invoice, who supplied it.
Yeah I’m aware of that and my tuners going to sort that next time we have some time together. The turbo came from AC turbos in Skelmersdale, I believe it was sent off somewhere else for the work to be done though not sure where exactly

If they sent it of, it does beg the question about them tbh, as they're supposed to be a turbo company, nobody can comment on that as you don't really know who did the turbo.

If they sent it of, it does beg the question about them tbh, as they're supposed to be a turbo company, nobody can comment on that as you don't really know who did the turbo.
Yeah I suppose that’s true but I think they’re more of a rebuild/replace outfit hybrids are sent off to somebody else but I could be wrong , I just really wanted someone to make sense of what the invoice means in particular the 50.2mm/65mm what is this referring to exactly?

Why don't you just ring them & ask, I suspect it's diameters of wheel on both ends.

Why don't you just ring them & ask, I suspect it's diameters of wheel on both ends.
I have called a few times and been told they’ll get back to me yet not heard anything as of yet, if it was the wheel size on both ends does that sound about right for 400+?

Hi, I had a turbo made up for my 3.0 TDI CAPA engine over 8 years ago now. Used the AMG exhaust turbine and a 6+6 extended tip 66mm billet wheel. So you are in the ballpark area for around 400bhp.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/karls-3-0-tdi-build-thread.204785/page-7#post-2440637
So this should be very similar to what you have now. It made 385bhp and 750Nm of torque in the end. Could have been more if I had wanted to push the EGT's past the stock limits but I wanted it to be reliable. It's still going 8 years later with over 60K hard miles on it .
There is a small loss of power/torque at the bottom end which is to be expected with a heavier/ larger turbine wheel and a larger compressor but it's still pulls very well . I have no issues pulling our caravan typically around 1.8-2.5 K rpm.
Finding somebody who knows what they are doing with these and getting the mapping right makes the difference. @bobby singh would be the man I would get in touch with . He has mapped loads of modified 3.0 TDI's and has a 500bhp 3.0TDI himself so he knows what he is doing.

Attachments

• remap result.jpg
    remap result.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
Reactions: bobby singh
Thanks Karl
As Karl has mentioned I have tuned many of these now with power north of 400hp.
50mm ind will break 400hp
In my own turbos I use a larger cw and a light weight turbine to help with spool etc.
Turbo is just a one part - you will need other supporting parts to the whole package work well.

I done a lot of R&D many years ago - https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bobby-singh-a4-3-0-tdi-build-thread.248899/
Drop me a email if you want to get booked in - BobbySinghRacing@outlook.com
Thanks

Reactions: desertstorm and pelhamsdetailing