Boot water leak S3 saloon 8Y

sheharyaar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I own a s3 2020 saloon 8Y, I have an issue where the boot rubber seal collects water and sometimes water drops end up in the boot space (I have a rubber mat do easier to see them) please see pictures attached.
Screenshot 20230727 092747 Gallery
I have noticed the rear lights plastic lets off water onto the rubber seal hence it makes its way down the rubber seal lip. This happens after rain overnight or long periods, I have checked the boot from the back seats down and I see drops in the boot without opening the boot, I know water runs in when you open the boot due to the stupid design but surely without opening the boot it shouldn't be getting wet?. The cars been to the dealer twice both times they have said this is a characteristic of the saloon a3 models, I don't quite believe this so wanted input if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with their saloon 8Y. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
20230727 083016
20230727 082954

Hi. I too have a saloon and after heavy rain when i open the boot a little water finds its way in. Not really a huge problem TBH, we are used to rain in the UK...:yes::yes::yes:

Reactions: sheharyaar
Is water coming into the boot just when being is opened or is it coming in when closed? My current car leaks so my new s3 better not!

Hi. I too have a saloon and after heavy rain when i open the boot a little water finds its way in. Not really a huge problem TBH, we are used to rain in the UK...:yes::yes::yes:
Hi mate thanks for the reply, can I ask do you get water in the same location as the picture above I took at the bottom of the rubber seal and plastic? Cheers

Is water coming into the boot just when being is opened or is it coming in when closed? My current car leaks so my new s3 better not!
Hi mate, yes its coming in when closed i checked via the back seats after a night of heavy rain, what car do you have currently, and I'm not sure if all a3/s3 saloons leak Audi want to book my car in for a longer period for testing but apparently according to the master tech this is normal for the saloons which I find hard to believe lol, il keep you updated

Last edited:
Hi mate, yes its coming in when closed i checked via the back seats after a night of heavy rain, what car do you have currently, and I'm not sure if all a3/s3 saloons leak Audi want to book my car in for a longer period for testing but apparently according to the master tech this is normal for the saloons which I find hard to believe lol, il keep you updated
Lol leaking water in when closed can’t be normal, they probably mean when opening the boot water drips in

Well, cloud be a defective boot seal. There have been some issues with (also) the seals in the early production 8Y:s. My first car had the driver's door seal and also later the other back door seal replaced because they were falling off. Sounds like a similar problem as your car is the 2020 one. Bad it's not under the warranty anymore, I suppose.

My 8Y RS3 also leaks into the boot but not after rain only after using a pressure washer to remove the snow foam and wash suds. I now keep the pressure washer further away and it’s not done it since but I will have it looked at when I take it for service. Audi could change the seal for something a little bigger to prevent this happening.

Attachments

• IMG_5875.jpeg
    IMG_5875.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5876.jpeg
    IMG_5876.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
Well, cloud be a defective boot seal. There have been some issues with (also) the seals in the early production 8Y:s. My first car had the driver's door seal and also later the other back door seal replaced because they were falling off. Sounds like a similar problem as your car is the 2020 one. Bad it's not under the warranty anymore, I suppose.
Hi mate I suspect your right it is a bad seal as it seems to get on the wrong side of the boot seal and end up pooling at the bottom of the seal with the plastic boot guard so somehow is making it way past the seal to the other side, luckily I am under warranty until December and audi are looking at it under warranty

My 8Y RS3 also leaks into the boot but not after rain only after using a pressure washer to remove the snow foam and wash suds. I now keep the pressure washer further away and it’s not done it since but I will have it looked at when I take it for service. Audi could change the seal for something a little bigger to prevent this happening.
Hi mate, thanks for the reply mine doesn't do it with jet washing just when it rains esp heavy rain but I suspect its the same issue most likely a bad boot seal, I would push Audi to sort your issue as its under warranty

Reactions: Kevmoz
My previous 2020 8Y A3 saloon got water like that in the boot seal but only when it was parked on my drive boot first. I suspect it was the angle it’s parked. Not checked if my 2023 model does it yet.

My previous 2020 8Y A3 saloon got water like that in the boot seal but only when it was parked on my drive boot first. I suspect it was the angle it’s parked. Not checked if my 2023 model does it yet.
Tbf mate my drive does incline upwards slightly and that's what the master technician said that incline overwhelms the boot seal but still think it's ridiculous that it allows that much water in, its either a design flaw or it could be my seal, it's frustrating it's so common in Audi's for water leaks, my previous a7 c8 had a water leak in the front driver door and I had a q8 which leaked from the sunroof through the interior reading lights ‍

Currently got a focus which is known for leaking into boot. I’m annoyed to read it’s also a common fault on Audis, or is it not that common? I’d hope the 2023 models don’t leak but I doubt they would have changed seals etc?

Currently got a focus which is known for leaking into boot. I’m annoyed to read it’s also a common fault on Audis, or is it not that common? I’d hope the 2023 models don’t leak but I doubt they would have changed seals etc?
Tbh mate its been common on my Audi's maybe it's bad luck for me lol but I haven't seen much threads regarding the a3 8y having water leak issues hence the reason I started this forum and asked the question because it doesn't seem that common? But one thing for sure is when you open the boot any water sitting on top of the lid will fall into the boot so just be careful when opening the boot I'd keep a spare microfiber in the car after heavy rain just wipe it off saves your contents inside getting wet, but overall I love the car apart from this one issue il keep you guys updated anyway so we know if it was just my car and what the fix was

Reactions: vatdim