Can someone help me find these ambient lights?

audi8y2021

Reaction score
Recently I saw these pictures of extended ambient lighting in the door handles and storage parts of the doors, there are also footwell lights:

I assume these are lights that are for sale on Alieexpres for instance. But my knowledge on these lights is not great. I will be able to install them myself but have no idea which ones I should but so that they are also multi-color for instance. Is there anyone who has found these lights and wants to share them with me? It would be much appreciated!

Thus far I found the following for the door handles (but no idea if they fit): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.202b61d7uLGwws&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld

These for the footwell lights: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.202b61d7uLGwws&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld (also no idea if they wil fit and I don't know which cable to buy).

The ones for in the storage space of the doors I cannot find. Is that standard on A3's with B&O?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
You can buy a full kit for about £200 off Aliexpress (LINK), which includes all of the lights, including the replacement Aluminium door trims with the LED strip and contour lights.

Might be a better option to get the OEM look.

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I already have the ambient plus package and am only looking for the footwell lights and lights in the door handle and door storage compartment. The sets are relatively expensive and consist also of modules, which I already have. So I think I can just buy some leds that are changeable in color and connect them to the existing ones. Or is that not possible and should I go for a separate set like the one you send?

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I already have the ambient plus package and am only looking for the footwell lights and lights in the door handle and door storage compartment. The sets are relatively expensive and consist also of modules, which I already have. So I think I can just buy some leds that are changeable in color and connect them to the existing ones. Or is that not possible and should I go for a separate set like the one you send?
I’ve been looking for the same type of thing also. I did ask RocketWires previously via email if it was something they could do but said it was not through them.

Always bugged me with the white footwells instead of matching the rest and the door pockets. If you ever find anything let me know!

I've seen something else on Aliexpress, which maybe fits. It is for MQB platform cars. https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.202b61d7auudNQ&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld

Maybe this will fit, I have no idea where to look for tbh. I can return them free of charge but I do not want to put the shipping costs on the seller just to test it. So if someone could verify that it should fit or not would be very nice.

This one fits for sure: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.202b61d7auudNQ&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld, but these are only the footwell lights and I would really like to also purchase the doorhandles and storage compartment lights.

Curious if someone can find out more!

I have a brief update regarding this topic. Upon reviewing the self-study guide for the 8Y, I noticed that the factory-fitted storage box compartment lights (located in the doors) can be installed with the B&O audio (please see attached picture).

There isn't any further detail about these lights. They might be multicoloured or perhaps not. However, they seem to be an available feature. Regrettably, on AliExpress, only the full packages are on offer (similar to the one @Jak_11 highlighted). Whilst there are lights designed for the Golf (the ones I shared earlier), it's hard to believe they wouldn't be compatible. The AliExpress seller mentioned that whilst the lights are identical, they operate on different software, which I find rather puzzling. Does anyone have further insights on this matter? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, has anyone any idea on this? I really would like to have at least the door handle lights in multicolour.

Reactions: nutter2
Sorry to jump in .
Really want to do this, don't think I'm gping to pay beat part of 2k though. Thered a few options from 3rd party companies that say their kits fitted will be around £700 and controllable through mmi.
But I wonder if there just Aliexpress kits, as listed above.
Has anyone used a company who fit them ?

All the retrofit kits you can find om Aliexpress are mainly for cars without the ambient lighting package. So you have to buy everything including the lights you already have. I now found footwell lights for A3 in multicolour. The guy told me it was as easy as splitting the connector of an existing ambient light with the new one. So with that in mind I think it cannot be that hard to find the proper lights and cables.

Audi Upgrades who we have partnered up with are currently carrying out an 8Y full ambient lighting (multi-colour) retrofit and we have 2 booked in to do int he next 2-3 weeks.

As a guide for the full retrofit using Genuine Audi Parts and completing it to 100% factory specification which we do its £1800-2000.

Reactions: andmaxyduncy, Audi Upgrades Ltd and nutter2
For info:

Audi Upgrades who we have partnered up with are currently carrying out an 8Y full ambient lighting (multi-colour) retrofit and we have 2 booked in to do int he next 2-3 weeks.

As a guide for the full retrofit using Genuine Audi Parts and completing it to 100% factory specification which we do its £1800-2000.
and we have now finished it today!

Genuine OEM Multi Colour Ambient Lighting in an A3 8Y as if fitted at the factory including rear footwell lights and rear door puddle lights (which are part of the multi colour ambient lighting package from the factory)

Nothing from AliExpress or aftermarket, but the real mccoy from Audi.

Customer is collecting tomorrow.

Videos and Photos will be published on Youtube etc soon.

Cheers. Andy

Reactions: Sandra
Fantastic can't wait to see it.

Is the whole kit available from audi ? Will you be sharing the part numbers for those who want to diy

Fantastic can't wait to see it.

Is the whole kit available from audi ? Will you be sharing the part numbers for those who want to diy
Audi do not offer a 'kit' for this, all parts need to be bought separately from Audi and the wiring harness which there is a lot of additional wiring required we produce ourselves which has been developed over many hours between ourselves and Audi Upgrades.

Audi do not offer a 'kit' for this, all parts need to be bought separately from Audi and the wiring harness which there is a lot of additional wiring required we produce ourselves which has been developed over many hours between ourselves and Audi Upgrades.
As a new owner of an S3 8Y that doesn't have the ambient lighting, I'd be interested in this but the cost is a little steep.

I'm not doubting the quality of what you've done, but, would there be an option to mix OE and aftermarket parts to help keep costs down at all?

Reactions: nutter2
On AliExpress, more alternatives are available. These encompass ambient lighting options that are not part of the original ambient light package, such as door storage box lights, footwell lights, and door handle lights. These are precisely the items I am in search of, as I already possess the enhanced Ambient Light Package Plus.

As a new owner of an S3 8Y that doesn't have the ambient lighting, I'd be interested in this but the cost is a little steep.

I'm not doubting the quality of what you've done, but, would there be an option to mix OE and aftermarket parts to help keep costs down at all?

There are always various options available to suit different budgets, we have a full OEM ambient retrofit tomorrow on an 8Y where the customer has managed to sourced used parts to reduce the cost and we also have an S3 8Y in at the moment having just the LED door strips adding as the customer wants to do upgrade in stages so many options available.

Reactions: KR MAN
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a quick update on my recent research regarding car LED lights. Initially, I was a bit puzzled by the LED configuration in cars, particularly multicolor LEDs. I had the misconception that they should have four wires (RGB + GND), but I discovered that they typically have three wires. It seems they are controlled through a signal, and there's some embedded logic in the LEDs to interpret the signals from the car (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

It's crucial to ensure that the LEDs you purchase are compatible with your car's software. Many complete packages available on platforms like AliExpress include controller modules, forming a sequence of control: MMI -> ALI MODULE -> ALI LEDS. Unfortunately, I couldn't find door handle lights specific to the 8Y model sold separately, leading me to consider alternative options.

I've noticed that the multicolor LED beneath the instrument panel shares similarities with the LEDs in the door handle lights. While I'm unsure about their exact dimensions, I plan to investigate further in the upcoming weeks. This might open the possibility of installing multicolor door handle lights with OEM lighting, which could also be used to enhance ambient lighting in various areas like the door bins.

If anyone has valuable tips, tricks, or additional information, please feel free to share. And if any part of the information I've provided is incorrect, let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: thomaslewis and nutter2