S4 Chassis Wobble / Scuttle Shimmy?

Kev H

Reaction score
Ive had my 04 S4 Cab a year now and was chuffed yesterday when is passed its MOT with no advisories!

Overall , im happy with the performance and reliability so far but one area has bugged me since purchase.....
Since i got it ive always been aware of what feels like a wobble going right through the car on anything other than a smooth rd. Motorways etc at speed is fine, but a country rd with uneven surfaces and the car feels like its shaking all over momentarily. Ive replaced all the front control arms and strut top mounts / bump stops so far but im looking for advice / experience as to what may be the most likely cause. When the shocks were out they were both stiff to compress and rebound which i believe is desired for oil filled shocks?

Im aware that Cabriolets do suffer from the characteristic of " scuttle shimmy " but the original road test reviews of the A4 at launch basically stated that Audi had cracked it. As this is the only Cab i have driven i dont know how common this is?

My first thoughts were engine mounts, is it possible that when going over an uneven surface the big lump of an engine is moving around causing the wobbling effect? No leaks are apparent from the mounts? Other areas i thought of are worn subframe / anti roll bar bushes but surely if they had this effect on the car when worn they would be so bad that they would fail an MOT and all the previous MOT's have no mention of these areas.

So yeah, looking for any advice if possible...let me know your thought guys.

Car has 61k on it for info.

Cheers
Kev