(video) Clutch squeaking/clicking after new clutch and flywheel

kiz17

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently had a new clutch and flywheel changed on my 57 plate Audi A3 1.8TFSI. Just days after having the works done I noticed noises coming from under the bonnet. When depressing the clutch I get a squeaking noise, this noise only happens when the car is warm and has been driven for around 20-30 minutes. The noise will also occur when the engine is off, though it will only do it once the car is warm - it doesn't seem to do it when cold. I have also noticed that I sometimes get a creaking noise when depressing the pedal and going through the gears.

I have owned this car for over 5 years, I purchased it in June 2018 and have never had any kind of noise during clutch operation whatsoever. It's only since I've had the new clutch and flywheel changed. I used good quality parts (LuK, so OEM spec).

I have taken it back to the garage and his suspicion re the squeaking is that it's the slave cylinder, and that greasing something up in there could solve the issue.

As for the creaking, he noticed that both CV joint boots are split and suggested this might be where the noise is coming from. For the past 3 years I have experienced creaking when turning at low speeds which I attributed to CV joints, however I have never had any kind of creak when depressing the clutch, also why would CV joints creak when using the clutch?

It just seems very strange that in 5 years of ownership I've never had any noises during clutch operation, but now I have a few noises immediately after a clutch/flywheel change. I had both the clutch slave and master cylinder replaced around 4-5 years ago, which I know isn't the most recent of times but why would it now all of a sudden squeak?

I have included links below to the noises:

Squeaking Noise

Creaking Noise

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated!