Need to change cars because of ULEZ currently have a nifty A3 sline 2.0 TDI diesel ?

hemeldude

Reaction score
Yo so annoyingly albeit painfully adding maybe an extra 12/15 minutes to my commute I've started driving 20 miles down the M1 and parking my car North London and taking the Northern line into Central London for work, saving approx 250 quid a month this will go up to maybe saving 330 a month if I get to WFH 2x a week, rather than buying a monthly ticket from my home town into Central London!

Anyway I've had my A3 2 door since 2014 it's been fine and I really like driving it, I just drove it home from my G/F's house and damn it can still move fast and it's only 139 hp but the god damn this is such a nice car to drive, the manual stick the steering wheel the bose sound system , the mpg is decent I usually get 60mph each way when commuting to work, insurance and diesel costs are good too.

Anyway as it's been so long I was like somewhat jealous of S3 and S4 drivers , no way I would ever get a RS4 or above probably too powerful for me and I'm not a hardcore driver and the more I think about it the roads and traffice these days puts me off, however I am still in limbo on what car to get next, I have some savings and my next contract is okay, I don't mind spending 15 to 18k on a used car or go the pcp/lease route? what do you think. I probably will stick with Audi as I know a great mechanic who can stamp my services and never rips anyone off! so thats a good reason to stay with Audi.
Any recommendations I've youtube'd the cost of running an S4/S5 or RS and tbh the more I think about it I don't see that many RS's or Porche's or any stuper fast motors bombing it down the motorway on a daily commute.
Nonetheless I have 4 weeks to upgrade before the ULEZ expansion beings, whats a good uprade I'm not poor and I'm not rich but I think to myself life is short should I aim for a S3/S4 or any recommendations please?

I have to say my car has been amazing my brother had an A5 before the chains broke as he never did the change at 75k but that was ages ago, what do you guys recommend I probably will be sticking to the commute to save on train fare's I like listening to podcasts on the way in to work.

I have to admit if i got a fast car and the mpg was down to 22 to 25mpg each way that would hurt , I'm not tight but I don't like the idea of burning money but then again I'm saving 250 to 330 a month potentially on a monthly train ticket, so I could put that towards the cost of running the car?

- update wow so you can get S4 with Diesel does sound like a bit of a fad as it looks like an S-line which ain't bad obviously, so how does this compare ? I might go down this route!

My 6 year old 4.0t Audi S7 is ULEZ compliant. Go figure :blink:

I think your safe with pretty much anything built after 2016, and there are plenty of free web sites that can check compliance using a reg number.

I would avoid diesel even if it is euro 6/ulez compliant. Think bath or Bristol is looking at charging more for parking a diesel compared to a petrol at the moment so no doubt that will spread across the country. Saying that the goal posts are always changing so whatever we all buy we will get screwed somewhere.

Reactions: RAF_S7
SCREW 'em! Just don't go there!
Soon to be moaning of loss of trade/revenue
We've a 2010 TT, 2011 RS3, and 2017 TDi SQ5 - ALL compliant
BUT we'll STILL NOT go to these idiot controlled/stupid places

Like STOP digging OUR coal, extracting OUR oil, lets IMPORT it! DUH!

Reactions: AlS3BE
SCREW 'em! Just don't go there!
Soon to be moaning of loss of trade/revenue
We've a 2010 TT, 2011 RS3, and 2017 TDi SQ5 - ALL compliant
BUT we'll STILL NOT go to these idiot controlled/stupid places

Like STOP digging OUR coal, extracting OUR oil, lets IMPORT it! DUH!
My 2002 Mini Cooper s is ulez compliant but a 2014 euro 5 diesel won’t be. They are trading NOx gases for more co2 which doesn’t make sense when we are trying to be carbon zero.

Reactions: 45bvtc
My 2002 Mini Cooper s is ulez compliant but a 2014 euro 5 diesel won’t be. They are trading NOx gases for more co2 which doesn’t make sense when we are trying to be carbon zero.
Tis dumb politicians! Not like most are life aware. Out of school, into university, into parliament - or the armed forces and then parliament. Yes sir no sir please can I have a medal, a knighthood., or a lordship.

Guy Fawkes, the only person who ever entered parliament with true intent!

Not voting again for these dumb f***s, ever...

PS: ex Technical Director Automotive Engineering/Manufacture UK and working both Japan and China - something my own MP has never done - Dame!!! Amanda Milling, tsk!!! Pathetic, just pathetic... Can't even organise the repair of potholes between her own office here in my home town and her own. And yet, now, a Dame!!! Pantomime Dame more like!!!

Mind, like the others, spends 95% of her time in London, so how would she know.... :search:

Last edited:
Rant continues:

If only to add to my/your frustration. Back in the 90's we were running fuel efficient/lean-burn/emission compliant engines without catalytic converters. But, the EU had built a catalytic converter manufacturing facility in Belgium and so decreed every car would have a catalytic converter, go see 91/441/EEC.

Here in 2010 we purchased one of the first available Audi RS3's. I immediately removed the secondary cats! I knew the 5-pot to be a lean-burn engine.

At 3-years old Stafford Audi pre-tested the car - without secondary cats - and measured the CO at 0.02%. HOWEVER, as I knew, the car should FAIL the MOT as the 'number' of cats was '1' and not '3' and so it proved. So Stafford Audi, embarrassed, came and collected and (re) fitted the secondary cats and re-tested and guess what, the CO was 0.01%. The car came home, the secondary cats removed and stored in my loft and have remained there ever since.

The emissions may/do comply but the number of cats don't.

Just beurocratic nonsense!

Like don't dig coal here, don't extract oil and/or gas here, let's import it - don't that make us look emission compliant.

Reactions: RAF_S7, NevMan and AlS3BE
Thanks for the replies and rants lol my actual query is what car to upgrade to I need to upgrade anyway I've had it the A3 Sline since 2014 and yeah its a nice ride but time to move on, I want something similar maybe A5 but has to handle nice and good mpg ideally!

I think what you’re asking is can I have my cake and eat it?

I’m in same predicament. Currently drive 2012 2.0TDI (177PS) Euro 5 A4 Allroad, but it’s not ULEZ compliant. I was actually shocked at the price of cars. Go back a few years you could get a 4-5 year old car with all the toys for £20k, now that same specification has forced the budget to nearly £30k.

Can you get performance and fuel efficiency, yes, but there’s always a trade-off. I like diesels for low end torque, always have done, but the technology has got daft with catalytic converters, DPF, AdBlue, EGR, etc. I tow, and need 4 wheel drive, so for me that’s non negotiable. I’m also spanner handy so that side reduces bills too.

£18k could get you an A3 1.4TFSI e-tron. It’s a plug-in hybrid. £0 road tax, 204PS. it will be sensor loaded, so unless you’re spanner-handy and have access to VCDS, it might be more trouble than it’s worth.

If you go gown S3 route you’ll be £200-240 road tax, increased insurance, etc. Fuel efficiency, just had a look at fuelly site and average consumption is around 25mpg, although on combined cycle they claim up 47mpg, albeit with a following wind! Again S3 is a performance car, so you’ll want one with FSH, and more paperwork than your average house sale.

2017 Audi SQ5 TDi: has to be the best all-round, all-weather machine I've ever experienced.

AND is ulez compliant
Laughing Around And Rolling Smiley

OK, I can get anything between 17 and 50mpg, just depends who/what's behind...:racer:

Love our 2010 TT tfsi (Sahara sikver) ragtop; love our 2011 RS3 (one off Cornflower Blue) too; but our 2017 SQ5 TDi (pano' roof of course) @ 30K miles, just does EVERYTHING so well.

In FACT: nothing in an AUDI UK garage I'd straight swap our 2017 SQ5 TDi for, NOTHING! I'll repeat, NOTHING!

A 2017 SQ5 TDi just does EVERYTHING, like EVERYTHING so very, very well!

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/

And it's laughingly QUICK!

Last edited:
I think what you’re asking is can I have my cake and eat it?

I’m in same predicament. Currently drive 2012 2.0TDI (177PS) Euro 5 A4 Allroad, but it’s not ULEZ compliant. I was actually shocked at the price of cars. Go back a few years you could get a 4-5 year old car with all the toys for £20k, now that same specification has forced the budget to nearly £30k.

Can you get performance and fuel efficiency, yes, but there’s always a trade-off. I like diesels for low end torque, always have done, but the technology has got daft with catalytic converters, DPF, AdBlue, EGR, etc. I tow, and need 4 wheel drive, so for me that’s non negotiable. I’m also spanner handy so that side reduces bills too.

£18k could get you an A3 1.4TFSI e-tron. It’s a plug-in hybrid. £0 road tax, 204PS. it will be sensor loaded, so unless you’re spanner-handy and have access to VCDS, it might be more trouble than it’s worth.

If you go gown S3 route you’ll be £200-240 road tax, increased insurance, etc. Fuel efficiency, just had a look at fuelly site and average consumption is around 25mpg, although on combined cycle they claim up 47mpg, albeit with a following wind! Again S3 is a performance car, so you’ll want one with FSH, and more paperwork than your average house sale.
My 2018 s3 is only £180 road tax.
on long journeys easily get 40+mpg but short runs and driving around town is about 20mpg.

Reactions: spartacus 68
Overall, 4-years, 2017 SQ5 TDi, 35mpg (50mpg running hassle-free)

And NEVER overtaken in anger...:racer: