TDI High Idle Issue

MattA38P

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, having a small issue with my TDI. It’s a 2010 CR170 engine. Over the last few months I’ve noticed occasionally it’s idling at 1000rpm rather than it’s usual 850/900. Whenever this happens I can smell burning diesel more in the engine bay (like
Something is getting really hot)which drifts through into the cabin.

I’ve recently had it remapped at R-Tech, they mentioned that it was struggling to hold temperature at 90 and thought the thermostat was on its way out.

Since having it back it’s constantly idling at 1000rpm with this burning smell. It almost feels like it’s in regen but it shouldn’t be? I often do motorway trips and manually regen the dpf, I’ve never had the light come on.

I’m going to replace the thermostat as per R-tech’s suggestion but wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Other than the idle and smell the car drives fine. No loss of power or flat spots.

A custom cat-back exhaust was fitted by BCS/Powervalve a few months ago… but don’t think that should be the fault.

Surprised they mapped it not holding 90, only use genuine stat not ecp junk does sound like a regen tbh

Reactions: MattA38P