MMI A3 2013 not available

POJ

Reaction score
Hi,
My MMI system suddenly stopped working, there is a message in the dashboard saying "not available", system is completely dead meaning no screen, no radio, no handsfree etc... Pushing the on/off button does not give any reaction at all...

It has been working prefect for 10 years, car is a 2.0 TDI sportback with 110.000 km, and we had it at the garage for replacing rear brakes. They had it for little over a week due to lack of time, and after picking it up the MMI was dead. Went back and asked what happened, they said "we have not been in the system when replacing the brakes" and did a quick check, came back said "it's some kind of CAN Bus error..." Also tried to disconnect the battery, but did not help...

I fond this forum and the 3 button re-boot, but since the system is not available, the re-boot did as expected not help.

Via a friend we connected a diagnostic reader to the car and it said #17 Dashboard DTC U111000 Limited function due to communication error and #19 Diagnose interface for databus DTC U105400 Control unit for informationelectronics 1, No communication... Another instrument showed that the date of the error was set to the same day the garage did check the car, after approx 5 days from when I left it there.

So, not trying to blame anyone, but wondering if anyone have any idea of where to start looking? Suspect no power as it's completely dead? In such case where to start looking, I have check fuses and could not see anything wrong there. Any nodes that power can be checked or similar...? Any ideas at all...?

Appreciate any help I can get on where to start looking. The garage opens soon again after the vacation but I'm concerned the authorised garage's search can be costly...

Thanks!

There are no guarantees here but as the garage had the car for over a week and the errors are time stamped 5 days after drop off to garage I.e. whilst they had it then suggest showing them the logs and dates which indicate the error was whilst in their care, requesting them to fix or provide proof contesting your claim.

From what you state, and can provide, it’s up to them to fix or provide rebuttal to your claim that it’s due to their work.

I don’t know Swedish law but this would be the logical approach in UK.

There are no guarantees here but as the garage had the car for over a week and the errors are time stamped 5 days after drop off to garage I.e. whilst they had it then suggest showing them the logs and dates which indicate the error was whilst in their care, requesting them to fix or provide proof contesting your claim.

From what you state, and can provide, it’s up to them to fix or provide rebuttal to your claim that it’s due to their work.

I don’t know Swedish law but this would be the logical approach in UK.
Thanks JohnM100, but I'm afraid they would just claim coincidence as it was not part of the job they did, however when I addressed the issue I did not know the code was set a certain date, so maybe I'll try again.
I'm blank to know where to start looking myself, maybe start with another try at fuses, disconnect the battery for some longer time...
Really annoying.

Control unit for informationelectronics 1 =

1) possible issue with MIB media unit (glovebox)
2) possible power or earth issue to said media unit
3) possible CAN wiring issue with media unit

If you cannot see any illumination on the eject button / the media unit does not make a noise when the eject button is pressed check fuse 12, accessible via the panel in the back of your glovebox and go from there.