Reg. Plate Question

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi guys, I recently bought myself a motor about a month ago, which had a private reg on. The owner insisted that she wanted it back, to which I have no problem, but she hadn't put it on retention yet. I've already received the new V5C docs with the private reg on, so I presume that without the car's tax disk, she couldn't get the reg back. Now she requires the number on the top of the tax disk to attempt to get the reg back, can she do that? I mean the reg means nothing to me, but it hides the cars age, and I can't be ***** with making a new set of plates for the car lol.
So people, should I send her this tax disk number or not? Can she really get her reg back now since I have a V5C with the reg and my details on it? I'm not trying to be a meany, but she's the one that made the mistake, and I don't see why I should waste a bit of my time and effort which will cost me money...

What are your thoughts?

I would stand firm. The dozy vendor should have put the number plate on retention before she sold the vehicle. If you give in then you will have to faff around with your local DVLA office to get the car put back onto a plate of the year of manufacture for that vehicle which will cost you a cool £80 plus your time and form filling.
Hope this helps

p.s. as matters now stand I believe legally you are now the registered keeper of that number plate (registration mark) so you could always put it on retention and sell it back to her!!

As smokeymike says legally you are the owner of the plate but if you are happy with car I would give her title to the plate back minus the costs you will incur.£80 to dvla and £25 for new plates for your car.

motorbikez said:
As smokeymike says legally you are the owner of the plate but if you are happy with car I would give her title to the plate back minus the costs you will incur.£80 to dvla and £25 for new plates for your car.

Not strictly true in reality. You do not own the car registration, the car its attached too owns the registration. Whoever owns the car thus has the legal right to display the registration plate. The vendor here fu*ked up big time by not putting it onto retention and has no legal right to claim the registration unless this was agreed as a term in the contract of sale. Even if you only verbally agreed to her retaining the plate following the completion of the sale this is still a term of the sale. She could have a right to sue for the plate if she knows anything about law so probably not worth the agro in my view. Certainly dont put yourself out to do anything though, tell her if she wants it then she's got to pay for it all to happen and arrange it all herself, including costs of new plates & all forms filled out etc. Its her mistake so let her sort it out! Thing is many people dont know how the whole private plate system works, I only discovered it when I changed my plate over when I bought the Audi last year. You have to be very careful to ensure everything is in place before you sell the car else you'll have all sorts of problems, such as your vendor now has!

Jojo, if you bought fewer cars you wouldn't have these problems. :)

I'd give her the plate back but at her cost. She should be paying for any costs incured, plus maybe a little for your efforts. I'd sell it back to her for £125.

Could in essence have a reliance issue - the contract of sale was caveated to the fact she wanted to keep her registration. Thus making it an express term of the contract - however, she's the dozy cow who should have put it on retention before she sold her car! I put my plate on retention as soon as i knew i was selling my old car!!

I'd transfer it back to her, but at her expense!

Well, she's told me just to text the number on the tax disk to her which I think I will do, I can't see her getting the reg plate in that way at all? I was hoping that she would have retained the reg plate before sending the V5 docs off with my info on, which has led to the situation we are in now.
So retaining the reg plate myself, I have to also include a fee to make her a 'Nominee' so she could use it... maybe I should tell her I've sold the car on haha. :eyebrows:

As mentioned above Jojo, I'd make her do all the form filling and chasing around, including sending all required payments that go with them!

Plus a little 'something' for yourself would be in order.....:)

i made a post before buts it gone :(

but jojo stop being a meany and give the plate back :)

If she wants it back then don't stand in her way but at the same time don't be out of pocket or do any standing in queues. She wants it, she does all the running around and gets you new plates made-up and fitted.

OK guys I see where you are all coming from, I forgot to mention the fact that I drove almost 200 odd miles to Colchester to buy this car, so communication with this woman is a bit of a problem. :think: So it is I that will be doing the running around, if she wants the plate back!

That warm feeling you'll get by doing the running around - it will cost you time and money...

jojo said:
LOL!, let me see.... she's old enough to be my mother! :sadlike:

So she's a milf then, this thread is stepping up a notch.

Why don't you write to her and give her your contect details, then let her do all the running around.

And what was the car you bought.:)

A metoo post, but I reckon you should give it back if you don't care about it, but make her pay the fees, do the paperwork and pay for new plates for you.
Meanwhile, give one of the reg transfer companies a ring and see what it's worth! :idea: