Rain sensor fault. S3 8P

D.rc

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue I'm having.
Purchased a S3 8P recently which must of had a new windscreen at some point in its life and I don't think they installed the rain sensor correctly so now im getting a G18 Rain sensor code when scanned. Which I believe is stopping my windscreen wipers from working.
They only have two settings SUPER SUPER Fast or dead slow... the frequency setting also doesn't work.
Any idea's on how I can fix this? Thanks.

Could be the gel pad used wasn't or quality & it's deteriorated to a liquid state minority & got inside the sensor, of course that's a guess, been there before.

Unplug sensor see if wiper stalk frequency works properly.

Check in diagnostics to see if it's seeing the frequency positions correctly in steering wheel module.

If not then possible stalk issue.

Reactions: D.rc
Could be the gel pad used wasn't or quality & it's deteriorated to a liquid state minority & got inside the sensor, of course that's a guess, been there before.

Unplug sensor see if wiper stalk frequency works properly.

Check in diagnostics to see if it's seeing the frequency positions correctly in steering wheel module.

If not then possible stalk issue.
Thanks mate where is the rain sensor plug? ill give it a go now

3 pin plug is behind the mirror cover directly on top of the sensor, pushes in from top of screen downwards, you'll see.

Actually check they plugged it in properly, that maybe the issue.

Hi mate done as you suggested, it was all plugged in when unplugging it the windscreen wipers work normally again, but once i plug the sensor in again the faulty wipers return. I had a look at the gel pack it doesn't seem to be damaged? ( attached photo )
Should i just order a replacement sensor ? thanks.

edit: Looking on ebay, I assume as long as its got the same P/N as mine it should fit? seeing a load of a5's seats etc.

Attachments

• IMG_8098.jpg
    IMG_8098.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8093.jpg
    IMG_8093.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8094.jpg
    IMG_8094.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 50
Unless you're comfortable with wiring to connect 3 temp wires to confirm it's not this, I'd just get a used sensor, same part number.

Reactions: D.rc