Tyre fitment

mac1403

Reaction score
Just had all 4 tyres replaced on my 2020 fl RS3 sb at Audi. I realise a lot of people prefer the Michelin but decided to stay with the P Zero. Anyway, my question is…. They have fitted RO1 tyres to the rear as per the originals. The front 255/30/19 tyres have no rim protection. I was under the impression if you had p zeros they are specific to the RS3 and should have rim protection. Pics of front and rear inc for ref

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
Just had all 4 tyres replaced on my 2020 fl RS3 sb at Audi. I realise a lot of people prefer the Michelin but decided to stay with the P Zero. Anyway, my question is…. They have fitted RO1 tyres to the rear as per the originals. The front 255/30/19 tyres have no rim protection. I was under the impression if you had p zeros they are specific to the RS3 and should have rim protection. Pics of front and rear inc for ref

So are you saying the fronts aren’t R01 fitment ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because it is Audi does not mean they **** up and try to get away with it. Mine arrived approved used with none of the tyres to spec.

RO1 is technically for the older gen RS3 (prior to the staggered wheels) RO2 is what it should have but on the rear it is not important and I would not be worried as they are a similar tyre and same size but from Audi I would demand better..

AFAIK the front 255/30 is only available in RO2 (not RO1) and they are a different actual size to the standard Pirelli although both marked the same 255/30. I have had them side by side.

Just because it is Audi does not mean they **** up and try to get away with it. Mine arrived approved used with none of the tyres to spec.

RO1 is technically for the older gen RS3 (prior to the staggered wheels) RO2 is what it should have but on the rear it is not important and I would not be worried as they are a similar tyre and same size but from Audi I would demand better..

AFAIK the front 255/30 is only available in RO2 (not RO1) and they are a different actual size to the standard Pirelli although both marked the same 255/30. I have had them side by side.

I’ve got some 255 R01 from my PFL the rim protection isn’t no where near as big as the later R02 versions.

I know there’s been a shortage (like everything these days it would seem) of certain Pirelli sizes / spec tyres.

You’d like to think an Audi main dealer would be able to source correct spec tyres though, especially when they try to use something like a tyre is not the correct spec on a warranty issue, which has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potentially off topic, but the OE Pirelli are horrific in my opinion. A 235 PS4 has the same ground contact surface area as them due to the weird side wall angle. They're an absolutely bizarre tyre. Grip was shocking too compared to the competition. Again, all my opinion.

Whenever I had them on they chewed through to thread on the inside shoulder in 1k miles. 2nd set had all sorts of bulges and weirdness, blow-out waiting to happen. It wasn't alignment, and this is a common theme with them.

I went 235 square PS4 and never looked back. Pirelli, especially the OE flavour, has obliterated any trust I may have had in them as a tyre manufacturer. It doesn't shock me that "rim protection" (if you can call it that on those weird cross sections) is super inconsistent. Not one bit.

Also both should have the Audi OE letters R02 or whatever on the wall, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

I’ve got some 255 R01 from my PFL the rim protection isn’t no where near as big as the later R02 versions.
That makes sense, RO1 must have been for the staggered PFL. Either way RO2 is the correct spec for a FL, I had a battle and 4 new tyres when I bought the car approved thankfully the ErWin manual is quite specific about the tyres and the tread depth. Sold them and bought Michelins

My theory is the "rim protection" is actually sidewall support to prop up the car during cornering and slow the understeer. It may indeed do that but at the expense of ramming the inner edge into the tarmac.

I still say you are better to drive the car minimising understeer, rather than relying on the tyre to dig you out. The car is fast enough driven at 8/10ths. The Michelins have done 3 years of summers as a square set of 8.5" and have driven well and worn evenly all round.