Faulty CCM?

DaveW23

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm dealing with a couple of issues with my car at present; one of them self inflicted and the other is one I can just about live with as it is not entirely debilitating and I beleieve I understand the general area where the problem is located.

However, to add to the mix, yesterday afternoon another issue unexpectently presented itself. My four electric door windows would not open with the buttons, either individually by their own door switches or by the switches on the panel on the drivers door, the internal cabin light remained on unless I turned it off, the folding wing mirrors would not fold inwards and the central locking engaged when I set off. When I departed to work this morning everything was fine with the cars windows when the car started until I set off and when I finished work today the symptoms had returned when I started the car.

I drove down to my mechanic and he immediately suggested it sounded like the Comfort Control Module was the reason for the car behaving like it is possessed by a gremlin. When I started the car up at my mechanics I was able to lower the windows but when I set off the central locking engaged and that seemed to coincide with the windows becoming inoperable again. Also, the main central locking buttons on the drivers side door do not function when the car is in fault mode.

My mechanic suggested water ingress may have caused the CCM to fail and a visual inspection was required to determine if this is the case. In order to prepare for the worst, how do I ascertain the part number of the CCM for my car please. Do I need a scan to pick up the part number? Is this acheivable? My car is the A4 Saloon B7 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Special Edition.

Can anyone advise the part number of the CCM please as I may need to source a replacement from eBay asap. VIN number is available.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Yes if you scan it with VCDS it'll show the part number if the module still responds.. if it doesn't you'll need to get to it..
see the video

Reactions: DaveW23
A vcds scan at the start would have been the best practice to see what faults if any are stored within specific modules.
Though water ingress is not uncommon the fault and there will normally be signs of water damage in the general vicinity to the module can also be due to faulty wiring in the loom that connects the door control switch etc.
An initial scan will help eliminate one from the other.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback and advice. To further complicate matters, I'm noticing the central locking is slowly dying on me today. I had to use te key to unlock the car this morning and when I parked up in town, the central locking worked remotely. However, when I returned to the car I had to use the key again to unlock the car to gain access and use then use the key to secure the car a few minutes ago when I parked up again.

The symptoms to this issue vary slightly but it appears as though there is a sudden downward trajectory of the performance and stability of the cars electronincs centred around the CCM. I'm in the process of getting by car scanned.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi Everyone,

I was able to attend to the fault in a little bit more detail this afternoon and in summary the symptoms could be described as follows:

Drivers side door and all electronic controls = dead
All (4) door electric windows = dead
Remote fob central locking only 3 doors and the boot
Car key used manually in drivers side door only locks the door and does not engage central locking
Cabin lights are permanently on and do not time out so need to be turned off

QQ please, Would this issue cause the car to fail the MOT?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Dave

I suspect the locking and unlocking maybe a issue but not 100% on that.

As Rob (Charlie) says, get a VCDS scan done. It should point to what is causing the issues. If you’re getting in done at a garage I’m sure they will advise if it’s an issue with the MOT

Hi Everyone,

To cut a long story short, I visited Neil Grayson on Ulverston Rd, Sheffield, yesterday and one of his team quickly identified the fault which was due to a broken wire in the drivers side door loom as it as it goes from the door to the main body of the car within the protective cover. They were able to remove the door card, remove, repair and refit the loom which restored power to all controls of the drivers side door and other symptoms.

That's one down, two to go. :smiley:

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Dave

Reactions: Rob Avant
Great that it is sorted, and yep that bad wiring in the door looms again its very common and can affect numerous functions, you are not the first to be afflicted by it and certainly won't be the last.
Happy motoring chap. :icon thumright: