Q5 Caliper the cause?

ashwales

Reaction score
Trying to pin point an annoying judder/vibration at high speed.

Noticed this on the rear caliper.

Discs and pads are only 10 months old.

IMG 8707

Trying to pin point an annoying judder/vibration at high speed.

Noticed this on the rear caliper.

Discs and pads are only 10 months old.

View attachment 269794
With respect you're dreamin' if you think them discs are 'only' 10-months old, even OEM Audi discs don't rust (hub and outside edge) that bad in 10-months. I does appear, mind, that the friction material has 'gone' but that would not cause "judder/vibration at high speed". unless braking!

Here's our SQ5 rears, fitted March 21 so some 29-months old - and SQIFFY ain't moved for 7-days hense the rain-rust spots

SQ5 rears

Last edited:
Reactions: alanyork
Yeah they are only 10 months old, you might think I own the car

I’ve got new callipers, discs and pads on order, if the pad is in constant contact with the discs and it’s wrapped, it will cause a judder even when not braking as the pad is in constant contact the disc if its not able to fully depress.

Had a similar issue on a 330d but that was a total lock on the calliper, where as this is only minor so far but getting worse.

I’ve got new callipers, discs and pads on order, if the pad is in constant contact with the discs and it’s wrapped, it will cause a judder even when not braking as the pad is in constant contact the disc if its not able to fully depress.

Had a similar issue on a 330d but that was a total lock on the calliper, where as this is only

Had a similar issue on a 330d but that was a total lock on the calliper, where as this is only minor so far but getting worse.
I dread to think what the inside face of that brake disc will be like. And yes I agree if the pad is not being released you will get judder. For sure at 10-months old/use it is by far as bad as I have ever seen.

Wishing you good luck in sorting...

Reactions: ashwales
Can I also recomend to you Ferodo Eco Friction brake pads: I use 'em on our SQ5, TT and RS3 and find them a superb road pad.