Car insurance up !!

BBC - Breakfast - Item on Why Cost of Insurance premium have gone up.
ICE ~ 21% increase, EV ~ 72%. So average of 45% increase.
Some insurers are refusing EVs.
ICE car owners absorbing for EV costs ?
Fire at Luton Airport Car park: EV or ICE related?

Reactions: Sandra
My wife and I use the same insurance broker for all our modified cars. So the porsche cayenne , the Subaru Impreza Type R, the focus ST and both my Audi's, S Line and RS all go through them. All mods are declared . Wife is 45, I am 55, both have 9-10 years NCB and fairly decent postcode. Average insurance is around £400-500 depending on the car so well worth a shout out to my main contact there at Keith Michaels. Call and speak to Gary Moulson and say that Chris sent you his way ( it may help, it may not :) ) but he can sometimes do some really good deals. Worth a shout I say

So, I took out the Audi FREE 5 day insurance to get the car home, and got a quote for annual. They quoted £620 but it had a £600 excess, it was still one of the best quotes I had found. So I then tried Saga, as I'm an old git, they came in at just over £600 for their middle tier product + legal, but their excess was just £300. So after a bit of tinkering and taking my excess up to £500 total, I got it down to £575.

Their T&Cs seem to indicate new for old, for two years, if the car is unrecovered or written off. Could be handy if I had left my car in say, an Airport car park!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevmoz and Daggerit
I got it down to £575
That's about where I ended up. It was a toss up between Saga and Sterling. Went with Sterling in the end as the terms were a little better. Still a big jump up from last year when it was around £400 despite being brand new.

Reactions: Barmybobuk
X3M and a Q3, last years premium was £756, increased to £1376. Was able to reduce this to £1191 with Admiral.

X3M £530 > £895
Q3 £196 > £296

Reactions: RS03???
It came down to renewal time and I'm a bit shocked to see how the prices have gone up. I did quote for my stock 2017 S3 Saloon and the price (£980) is higher than same year M135i (2016), T-Roc R (2019) or even S4 Avant (2017)... Is S3 higher risk than others mentioned?

I'm 35, 9 years NCB

Sorry for posting in RS3 area... I'll move my post to S3 8V section as well..

Last edited:
I’ve been dreading my renewal as I have just paid for my Motorcycles and one of those increased from £230 last year to over £400 this year, a phone call reduced it to £290 which I paid.

My RS3 renewal is due end of January and I gingerly looked to see what this year would bring only to find that they ‘fixed’ my policy price for 3 years last year. (£263.54)

Happy Days :)

Reactions: 8YARWY
I’ve been dreading my renewal as I have just paid for my Motorcycles and one of those increased from £230 last year to over £400 this year, a phone call reduced it to £290 which I paid.

My RS3 renewal is due end of January and I gingerly looked to see what this year would bring only to find that they ‘fixed’ my policy price for 3 years last year. (£263.54)

Happy Days :)
Probably the reason lots of RS3’s are being moved on too, insurance x2/3 increase in a lot of cases.
Insurance is up for a lot of car owners across the board, let’s hope the RS3 isn’t going to be another Range Rover scenario.

Reactions: Mike.46
Probably the reason lots of RS3’s are being moved on too, insurance x2/3 increase in a lot of cases.
Insurance is up for a lot of car owners across the board, let’s hope the RS3 isn’t going to be another Range Rover scenario.
Yes, quite possibly especially when the insurance normally ends up landing the same time as road tax and in my case a pair of tyres and a service (now sorted with a 'Plan')

Reactions: 8YARWY
Had my carbon black saloon delivered in march 2022, did an insurance search in December 2021 and got quotes of around £1200 through compare the market . i live in central london and am 62 with a clean licence and no claims plus my car is kept in a locked compound. Last year my insurance rose to £1650 - none too happy. My renewal is due in March, but compare the market remembered my earlier search and have come back with a renewal of, wait for it,…..£3150! waiting to see what my current company comes up with nearer the time.

You guys really need to chat to my broker , Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels. If nothing more than giving you a decent comparison quote, he really does work mirac les sometimes, so worth a shout.

As an example on my RS4 with 11 years NCB, 56 years old, fairly decent postcode, all mods declared it is £395.

Reactions: Kevmoz
You guys really need to chat to my broker , Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels. If nothing more than giving you a decent comparison quote, he really does work mirac les sometimes, so worth a shout.

As an example on my RS4 with 11 years NCB, 56 years old, fairly decent postcode, all mods declared it is £395.
Holy crap... That's really low price for such a car... I did quotes for RS3 and it's around £1080

Holy crap... That's really low price for such a car... I did quotes for RS3 and it's around £1080
That is why I have been telling you guys to get in touch with him. It may not always be the case that you could get a price as low as mine ( so many factors come into play) and this was June 2023 so no doubt prices have gone up since but as I have always said sometimes he can do some fantastic deals.

I will ping him a message this morning to give him a heads up

Just had my renewal and not as bad as I had thought. Gone from 690 to 870.

Reactions: RS03???, swisstony and Kevmoz
I managed to wrestle ours down to £690 with Sterling in October. Still a £200 jump over the previous year. If you have the option to flip the main driver over to a partner then that's worth a punt. For some reason it was £100 less if we switched from my wife's name to mine.

I managed to get down to £950 and that's the cheapest I could get...

Got my renewal through from Audi Insurance (they were the cheapest when I got the car - unfortunately I had another car vandalised outside my house two months before the RS3 was delivered which really screwed my quotes up; luckily this is the last year it needs declaring) and it's nearly doubled to ~1020! Will have to give Gary a ring...

It's all a bit confusing...
I got quotes this morning for mine, it's not due till April but was looking to prepare myself.
The figures were similar to what I'm paying now
My mates has gone from 400 to 1400 on RR SVR tho...

Sent from my A063 using Forum Fiend v1.6.1.

Just tweaked and agreed on my renewal up from 871 to 1099 with Aviva Online.
Tried Sterling (nice people), Keith Mitchell could not match at all, their starting price £2K. Yes I live in one of those F-band Post-code.

Tried a couple of options including Footman James's "Flex" option to add the Audi to my classic insurance (5k!) and Keith Michaels who said I'd be unlikely to see a better quote than the one from Audi by a long way, so I went with that in the end.

Tried a couple of options including Footman James's "Flex" option to add the Audi to my classic insurance (5k!) and Keith Michaels who said I'd be unlikely to see a better quote than the one from Audi by a long way, so I went with that in the end.
For mine, Audi were the second best price by few 100's off compare the market. They came in at 1300

From £500 to over £2.4K

Nothing much doing on comparison sites either.

Sent from under the bridge while on Troll duty.

• Wow
Reactions: kayemill, RS03??? and JamesOff
just another hint to check Audi insurance..

about 30% cheaper than my renewal with LV, and a lot less than the ridiculous £4500 quote by pretty much anyone else that would even quote...

More than doubled for me….over £1k this year. Audi Insurance coming in at £703. What’s the catch?

I don't know where is the catch but Audi Insurance quoted me £2500/year

My Aviva renewal was a pleasant surprise!

IMG 3560

Reactions: RS03??? and Mike.46
yep, mines gone from 380 to 470, can't complain after seeing what other people are looking at.
I must be too old ...

Sent from my A063 using Forum Fiend v1.6.1.