steering lock module help?

garyduckworth2

Reaction score
hello all, i’m hoping for some advice or to find a wiring diagram (preferably both ) for my 2012 a4 with what i thought was a bad steering wheel lock module but after removing it to install the new (used)one i noticed that the top three wires were no longer in the lpigtail and tha had been cut leaving the three wires on the bottom? now prior to all this i had been driving it daily without issue until one day it would only start if tyou had the column pushed in. well it drove like that for long enough that i had forgotten about it until it reminded me by not starting . I’m thinking the missing wires might’ve been a earlier bypass or? i’m just not comfortable installing the new( used ) module and spending $200+ to have the adaptation done only to find out i’ve got the same problem as before…Thank you ever so much !

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 104
i hadn’t noticed that? to concerned about the three that were cut and seem to have disappeared from the loom, lol . thank you for the reply, im going to check further up the loom and check the fuses again and make sure that brown wire isn’t any worse further up…
i’ve looked everywhere for any wire schematic and i’m dumbfounded that there is absolutely nothing?thank you again!

Reactions: EXSpartan36
Hello garyduckworth, we may be able to help out each other. I've had the same symptoms on my 2014 S4. Long story long, I've owned this car since 2017, only 40k miles on it when I bought it. I've taken care of this car almost too well, some would say I over maintain it. I drive the heck out of it though, I just ticked over 190K miles. That said, this issue I'm currently having is the first major thing that I've run into, and it sounds a lot like what you are experiencing. The symptom with the car has been intermittent no start, but you can hear relays clicking when trying to start the ignition.

For the past 3 or so months, when the vehicle decides to 'no start' I found that if I move the steering wheel up/down/toward/away, while hitting the ignition button, I would find a 'sweet spot' and the car would fire up. I knew it was gonna get worse, and never had the time to look into it. Well, here I am now, the car won't fire up no matter what I try. I am in your same shoes, I've scoured the internet looking for this very same issue and I'm coming up empty handed. I do have AllData info with detailed wire harness diagrams (OE and Non-OE) but I still haven't come across the wiring that goes to the steering lock module. Unless I'm missing something, or not looking in the right place. I just can't believe this.

Anyways, sorry for the long description. This is all I have time to explain at the moment as I'm using some downtime at work to write all of this lol. I will do some more digging in the meantime and try to come up with something.

I do have AllData info with detailed wire harness diagrams (OE and Non-OE) but I still haven't come across the wiring that goes to the steering lock module. Unless I'm missing something, or not looking in the right place. I just can't believe this.
Its not just you. I've searched AllData and Elsawin. I can't find the diagrams anywhere.

Here is the related diagrams for the rest of the circuit.

Attachments

• A4 Column 3.png
    A4 Column 3.png
    111 KB · Views: 111
  • A4 Column 2.png
    A4 Column 2.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 93
  • A4 Column .png
    A4 Column .png
    123.6 KB · Views: 94
10-4. I appreciate this. I actually just stumbled across that same image today myself. I found it in my AllData account, but it is under the OE wiring diagram only, not the Non-OE diagram. Which works just fine, but the Non-OE diag is interactive, and I've been spoiled by that type of diag. It makes it quicker to find out what circuit is live while others are not live, etc. Yada-yada, you all get the idea.

@garyduckworth2 I will upload some photos that may help in your case as well. Tried to get in there to get a decent photo, but its at night, trying to use the flash and hold the phone still.. ugh.

Attachments

• PXL_20230823_011135797.jpg
    PXL_20230823_011135797.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20230823_011142565.jpg
    PXL_20230823_011142565.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20230823_011155354.jpg
    PXL_20230823_011155354.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
@garyduckworth2 now that I'm having a good look at these photos, the glare is pretty bad, making it appear to have white stripes on some of the wires.. ha, white stripes.. nm I'm a nerd.

Hello garyduckworth, we may be able to help out each other. I've had the same symptoms on my 2014 S4. Long story long, I've owned this car since 2017, only 40k miles on it when I bought it. I've taken care of this car almost too well, some would say I over maintain it. I drive the heck out of it though, I just ticked over 190K miles. That said, this issue I'm currently having is the first major thing that I've run into, and it sounds a lot like what you are experiencing. The symptom with the car has been intermittent no start, but you can hear relays clicking when trying to start the ignition.

For the past 3 or so months, when the vehicle decides to 'no start' I found that if I move the steering wheel up/down/toward/away, while hitting the ignition button, I would find a 'sweet spot' and the car would fire up. I knew it was gonna get worse, and never had the time to look into it. Well, here I am now, the car won't fire up no matter what I try. I am in your same shoes, I've scoured the internet looking for this very same issue and I'm coming up empty handed. I do have AllData info with detailed wire harness diagrams (OE and Non-OE) but I still haven't come across the wiring that goes to the steering lock module. Unless I'm missing something, or not looking in the right place. I just can't believe this.

Anyways, sorry for the long description. This is all I have time to explain at the moment as I'm using some downtime at work to write all of this lol. I will do some more digging in the meantime and try to come up with something.
firstly, Thank you ever so much for your reply i really appreciate it !that’s exactly what mine has done for 7-8 months after my steering wheel stopped locking ( or attempting to) except mine would only start when the wheel was all the way in and up , but it would always start ( so much so that i was wondering if it had always done as such?lol) Then i had to park it off my street because of a parade and the paid lot i parked in was just blacktopped and i forgot to put my sun shade in the windshield( 102-104 degrees f that day btw) when i went to drive it home the inside temp was 107 and it was dead! After an hour of trying to start it it finally fired and i drive home and it’s been parked ever since. i was told that the processor in the steering lock module ( and or the two micro switches) are what goes bad and the heat could’ve pushed mine over the edge?

@garyduckworth2 I will upload some photos that may help in your case as well. Tried to get in there to get a decent photo, but its at night, trying to use the flash and hold the phone still.. ugh.
thank you once more , im certain it’s the j764 module as that what it said when i ran diagnostics before it actually died, my issue is that if you look at my images i’m actually missing three wires that are cut flush at the plug before it goes into the pigtail/loom, im not certain if mine was somehow bypassed and or where they rerouted the said wires ,i just realized that some other kind soul actually found wiring schematics? ! so i hopefully can find where/what the missing wires for went to? , i will keep you posted as to what i find and or figure out…

Here is the related diagrams for the rest of the circuit.
hello and thank you ! i totally missed this ? i so appreciate your response and this information as it is next to impossible to find !
i’ll be sure and post what i find or don’t find just as soon as i’m able to !
thank you again!!

Its not just you. I've searched AllData and Elsawin. I can't find the diagrams anywhere.
it’s the

your issue is most definitely the steering lock module, (j764) as is mine but yours is easily fixed you can go on ebay and get the two micro switches and the one processor chip for less than $40 including shipping ( from france so you’d get it a lot faster than i would have as i’m across the pond….) and the module attaches to the column with a single torxs head screw right next to the plug( i don’t remember what size it is though, dreadfully sorry…..)and the three torxs head screws hold the case together just remove those and then the top half is just held with a single clip at the skinny end and a double clip at the plug end… then the green board just lifts out after a gentle pry at the skinny end ( it plugs into the motor below just pull up gently) there ya go bass bing bass boom! take it to a shop that does micro electrical repairs and or someone you might know that is a might handy with the ol’
soildering iron and have them replace the two switches and the one processor and then reverse what you did to remove it and there ya go ! your baby is all better!
now mine is another tin o beans altogether as i’m missing the white wblk ,red w blue and i can’t remember the third one but they are gone , cut flush with the plug and removed from the loom and i’m sure they rerouted them but do i replace my module ( i found one same year /series at pick and pull by a miracle) and spend $200 us to get it programmed to my car or is it the wire bypass that’s causing the module to fail ? both our cars have the exact same symptoms and fix albeit temporary as it was ! so i hope that i have helped in some way with your issue if i spent the last twenty minutes explaining to you what you already knew then oooops ? just trying to help but i’m a bit slow these days! lol thank you again for all your and everyone else’s help as the wiring schematic is what i was praying for now i just need someone to explain a couple things to me and i’ll be not fixed but closer to being fixed ( hopefully, please lord) lol..
you have a great day or evening as your 8 hours ahead?

it’s the

your issue is most definitely the steering lock module, (j764) as is mine but yours is easily fixed you can go on ebay and get the two micro switches and the one processor chip for less than $40 including shipping ( from france so you’d get it a lot faster than i would have as i’m across the pond….) and the module attaches to the column with a single torxs head screw right next to the plug( i don’t remember what size it is though, dreadfully sorry…..)and the three torxs head screws hold the case together just remove those and then the top half is just held with a single clip at the skinny end and a double clip at the plug end… then the green board just lifts out after a gentle pry at the skinny end ( it plugs into the motor below just pull up gently) there ya go bass bing bass boom! take it to a shop that does micro electrical repairs and or someone you might know that is a might handy with the ol’
soildering iron and have them replace the two switches and the one processor and then reverse what you did to remove it and there ya go ! your baby is all better!
now mine is another tin o beans altogether as i’m missing the white wblk ,red w blue and i can’t remember the third one but they are gone , cut flush with the plug and removed from the loom and i’m sure they rerouted them but do i replace my module ( i found one same year /series at pick and pull by a miracle) and spend $200 us to get it programmed to my car or is it the wire bypass that’s causing the module to fail ? both our cars have the exact same symptoms and fix albeit temporary as it was ! so i hope that i have helped in some way with your issue if i spent the last twenty minutes explaining to you what you already knew then oooops ? just trying to help but i’m a bit slow these days! lol thank you again for all your and everyone else’s help as the wiring schematic is what i was praying for now i just need someone to explain a couple things to me and i’ll be not fixed but closer to being fixed ( hopefully, please lord) lol..
you have a great day or evening as your 8 hours ahead?
This has been most helpful! I'm glad you are willing to take the time to get back on here and reply back with your findings. The wiring situation you have going on is very unfortunate, it's a shame you had to find out this way too, because the car is basically dead until its properly fixed. I apologize about being so slow to respond, I've been so busy with work, as well as other projects that need my immediate attention. But, I wanted to share a bit more of what I've done to my baby and where I currently stand.

(I wanted to mention this last week when I first came across your post, but ran out of time to explain everything single thing I've done so far) but here it goes...

When this fault started occurring on a normal basis, I ran a full scan and I did have a few DTC's that I've never seen on this car before (I will attach screenshots of the codes below.) So, with these specific fault codes present, and using process of elimination along with not being able to find anything on the internet regarding my concern, I removed my Steering Column Lock Module and sent it off for repair, along with my BCM2 and the key to the car. It wasn't cheap, mind you. But, I've still spent about half as much as I would've if I took it straight to the dealership.

I've been a technician at automotive dealerships as my prior career, 13 years, by the way, and I've seen many times where technicians do not take the proper diag steps as they should, and will basically start 'throwing parts' at the car at the customers expense. In hopes that what ever they replace will 'fix' the customer's concern, and not really knowing what is actually causing the fault. I don't have the time/money for that.

Now, that being said, I have everything back in place as it should be and double checked all connections. And, it seems that all I am left with now is the Component Protection on these modules, at least I think so anyways, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about eliminating that.. That's where I stand on everything. Any comments, questions, or concerns are welcomed. As busy as life has been lately, and the weather being absolutely too much to take for any period of time, it's been hard to get back to working on it again.

The attachment has the 2 fault codes I was getting, before I sent the modules off for repair, if you can see it clearly.. And now that I've installed everything and cleared the codes. These 2 codes do not return, so to go back to your issue, once you get your wiring stuff sorted, you may come across one or both of these same codes as well. Okay, that's all I have time for right now. Let me know how things are coming when you get a chance.

Attachments

• thumbnail_2023-07-18_17-53-52.jpg
    thumbnail_2023-07-18_17-53-52.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 79
@garyduckworth2 now that I'm having a good look at these photos, the glare is pretty bad, making it appear to have white stripes on some of the wires.. ha, white stripes.. nm I'm a nerd.
hey there
This has been most helpful! I'm glad you are willing to take the time to get back on here and reply back with your findings. The wiring situation you have going on is very unfortunate, it's a shame you had to find out this way too, because the car is basically dead until its properly fixed. I apologize about being so slow to respond, I've been so busy with work, as well as other projects that need my immediate attention. But, I wanted to share a bit more of what I've done to my baby and where I currently stand.

(I wanted to mention this last week when I first came across your post, but ran out of time to explain everything single thing I've done so far) but here it goes...

When this fault started occurring on a normal basis, I ran a full scan and I did have a few DTC's that I've never seen on this car before (I will attach screenshots of the codes below.) So, with these specific fault codes present, and using process of elimination along with not being able to find anything on the internet regarding my concern, I removed my Steering Column Lock Module and sent it off for repair, along with my BCM2 and the key to the car. It wasn't cheap, mind you. But, I've still spent about half as much as I would've if I took it straight to the dealership.

I've been a technician at automotive dealerships as my prior career, 13 years, by the way, and I've seen many times where technicians do not take the proper diag steps as they should, and will basically start 'throwing parts' at the car at the customers expense. In hopes that what ever they replace will 'fix' the customer's concern, and not really knowing what is actually causing the fault. I don't have the time/money for that.

Now, that being said, I have everything back in place as it should be and double checked all connections. And, it seems that all I am left with now is the Component Protection on these modules, at least I think so anyways, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about eliminating that.. That's where I stand on everything. Any comments, questions, or concerns are welcomed. As busy as life has been lately, and the weather being absolutely too much to take for any period of time, it's been hard to get back to working on it again.

The attachment has the 2 fault codes I was getting, before I sent the modules off for repair, if you can see it clearly.. And now that I've installed everything and cleared the codes. These 2 codes do not return, so to go back to your issue, once you get your wiring stuff sorted, you may come across one or both of these same codes as well. Okay, that's all I have time for right now. Let me know how things are coming when you get a chance.
hello once more, first off it’s you whom i should be thanking as i was so burned out and at acdead end till i got your reply to my post!!
and yes i got those two also and the the other one just for the steering lock module ( before it totally gave out) im certain that my module needs replacing as the mechanical parts of the module itself ( other than the circuit board) we’re kinda jammed up for lack of a better term? the gears are plAstic and if you use any amount of force at the right spot i would think it would do what mine did and then if the motor isn’t able to move and or the main ( i’ll call it a planetary gear?) can actually skip i tooth and then it’ll be just like mine was. i’m going to have the locksmith come out and program my new ( used but in very good condition) module , it’s a $200 gamble but it was operating perfectly before that code and the lock motor stoped working so say a prayer or cross your fingers or whatever you think would work and please let me know how yours turns out, im very positive your good to go!

Good luck on your efforts! I really hope that will fix the issues with yours. Just thought I'd ask right quick, do you know anything about Component Protection? I'm seeing quite a few things about removing the component protection on VW/ Audi's after modules are replaced, but I'm not 100% sure how do code the car for the steering column lock module component protection. I'm worried if I input something wrong I will end up in a bigger mess than what I started with, and I feel like I'm almost at the tail end of this whole repair.

I'm scratching my head right now. If you have any insight, I will be most grateful. In the meantime I'll try to dive a little deeper and see what I come up with. I really have to get this behind me and back on the road again so I can focus on other things, like my project B5 S4 that I've been working on for 2.5 years. Anyways, hope to hear that yours will be finished soon. Let me know how it goes.

sorry i had to take an unexpected break, i actually don’t know much at least nothing that would be helpful i wish i did as id live to help you out. Im on pins and needles waiting these last 12 hours till the mobile auto security tech guy gets here and recodes my second new used module to my car and I pray that is the end of this for at least a week or two ,lol …. no at least a good few months as my truck as nice as it is it does not go more than a day without needing to stop at a filling station and @ around $5.00 a gallon for the cheap stuff give or take a few cents it’s costing why to much to be using as my daily..plus it’s like my audi and really needs the octain as high as possible to run as it should . sorry i drifted from my point as i’m a bit tired , i will let you know how it goes and i’m really hopeful it will go as planned. If it doesn’t work i’m also hoping they won’t see the need to charge me the full $200 for the recoding service and my only other option will be to take my old module to a shop that does micro soldering and have them replace the two switches and the one processor chip that the say goes bad along with the switches.
maybe i did it backwards and should have tried replacing those first ? more than likely yes but either option would be around the same price without the cost of the new switch kit off ebay , so that’s where i’m at for now , im super curious how you’ve progressed and what progress you’ve made? and thank you again as your help was very much needed and at the best time as i was really burned out and honestly just thinking of washing my hands of her and that would’ve been a decision I would have regretted for a long while..oh and yes i am most definitely ignoring the three wires that were cut out of the loom?

well that didn’t go as planned, apparently you can not reprogram a steering lock module that has been programmed from a different car?I i’ve discussed this situation with numerous people including a audi parts wholesaler and a line tech for bmw amount others and they all agreed that my best course of action would be to find a good used one and then have it coded to my car and job done!well when the locksmith arrived he commented on the fact that i had two modules on the passenger seat and asked if i was collecting them to which i replied no that’s the original oh cand one from a 2009 in case the one from the 2012 thats installed has any issues.He then informs me that he can’t rewrite over a previously installed module and that it has to be brand new never installed at first i was rather disappointed but now i’m so relieved and embarrassed and the only reason i’m writing this is because you might have the same issue
that i have ? i finally looked at the brown(ground -)wire that wasn’t looking to well and something caught my eye up inside the wrapped tightly wire loom a glint of a wire end and so i carefully cut the loom open and i was suprised to see the three wires that were no longer conected to the six pin connector,OMG i’m such a lame! all this time all i had to do is open my eyes!?!? so that’s why it only worked when i pushed the column all the way in it would make contact with the other half that shows how well they wrap there looms and why it stopped working on that hot 102 degree fahrenheit day! and if your does the s similar thing like pushing you wheel in and out to find the sweet spot? especially if at the plug there should be a plastic zip-tie that goes around the end where the six wires leave the wrapped loom and enter the six pin connector if it’s not on yours that might be another reason to check you loom and plug , anyway i do sincerely apologize for writing this novel size reply as I have a habit of going on and on and on sometimes so please forgive me and I hope it helps you out in someway you take care, and I wish you the very best of luck!