Noob map update question..

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a daft question! I’ve just downloaded the map update for my car from my Audi, onto a usb stick.
If I go plug it in the car and start the update, do you need to stay in the car and keep the mmi active, as soon as I open the drivers door it’ll all shut down usually.
Just didn’t want the thing to shut down halfway through the update and sod it all up, or is it cleverer than that?

cheers

You can go out of the car and shut it down, just don't disconnect the usb/SD from it and it will resume the update process as soon as you turn the car back on.
I wouldn't recommend it myself though, much easier to leave the car idling for the hour instead of dealing with possibly corrupted update.

Reactions: demus and dezurita07
You can go out of the car and shut it down, just don't disconnect the usb/SD from it and it will resume the update process as soon as you turn the car back on.
I wouldn't recommend it myself though, much easier to leave the car idling for the hour instead of dealing with possibly corrupted update.
Yeh that was one of my concerns, didn’t really want to go and brick the nav, it is set to auto update over the air, but I think it only updates locations you frequently use?

Yeh that was one of my concerns, didn’t really want to go and brick the nav, it is set to auto update over the air, but I think it only updates locations you frequently use?
Understand your concern but I have regular left the car (both current and previous) to get on with its own thing using a usb attached updated of the map. It happily stops and starts when I ever I use the car until it is complete so would say you are safe. It actually seems to carry on updating for about 10 mins after you l eave the car, presume that is until the MMI system shuts down. Even better if you are going on a slightly longer journey (hour+) then it should complete the full update on the journey. You can check progress by touching the update icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Regarding the OTA update, it only updates the region you are currently in (the UK if I recall is actually split into about 4 regions) so it would start another update if you moved into a new region.

Reactions: demus
Understand your concern but I have regular left the car (both current and previous) to get on with its own thing using a usb attached updated of the map. It happily stops and starts when I ever I use the car until it is complete so would say you are safe. It actually seems to carry on updating for about 10 mins after you l eave the car, presume that is until the MMI system shuts down. Even better if you are going on a slightly longer journey (hour+) then it should complete the full update on the journey. You can check progress by touching the update icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Regarding the OTA update, it only updates the region you are currently in (the UK if I recall is actually split into about 4 regions) so it would start another update if you moved into a new region.
That’s perfect thanks, it’ll be doing fairly short runs for a while of about 15 minutes to work, but will do about 250 odd miles in a month or two up to North Yorkshire so I’ll leave till then, it’ll have plenty of time then.

Are you sure?

I’m sure mine said it was updating Europe maps last week.

Just to add to the thread, it updated from the usb in about an hour, had a half hour or so drive, stopped to ten mins then back, as said I’m pretty sure it kept updating for the ten mins it was parked.
It’s still saying there’s an update over the air, when I remember I’ll click it and let it get on with it, if it says what it’s updated I’ll post up here..
Cheers everyone