Green battery icon next to instant mpg

Jason1987

Reaction score
What does this mean? I’ve noticed it on all S3’s, seems a random thing to have by the mpg? The attached image is what I mean. I know it’s an 8v but it’s the same on the 8y

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    791.8 KB · Views: 170
Regenerative braking. When you slow down the car loads up the alternator to charge the battery so it’s more fuel efficient.

Regenerative braking. When you slow down the car loads up the alternator to charge the battery so it’s more fuel efficient.
Oh I didn’t know that was a thing lol, so car used fuel when alternator is charging battery so it charges from friction instead?

Oh I didn’t know that was a thing lol, so car used fuel when alternator is charging battery so it charges from friction instead?
Pretty much.
probably a bit more technical than that much about the just of it. In theory it should save on brake wear as well.

Pretty much.
probably a bit more technical than that much about the just of it. In theory it should save on brake wear as well.
So on my s3, when does it use regen? As eco mode coasts so assume that doesn’t use it and doubt dynamic mode does?

So on my s3, when does it use regen? As eco mode coasts so assume that doesn’t use it and doubt dynamic mode does?
On mine the bar goes past 40mpg then turns green. Doesn’t work in coast mode, every other mode. Just go down hill and lift off the throttle and you should see it.

What does this mean? I’ve noticed it on all S3’s, seems a random thing to have by the mpg? The attached image is what I mean. I know it’s an 8v but it’s the same on the 8y

This explains it quite nicely

Reactions: Jassyo06
In my experience the car uses regen in all modes. The car will either coast or regen depending on a number of different factors. In comfort mode:
a) on a hill the car will coast until the speed increases too much, at which point it will start regen in order to control the speed.
b) when braking to a stop, the car will either regen or coast depending on braking force and speed (typicically when slowing down it starts by using regen and then switches to coasting once the car has dropped below the speed that regen is effective).
c) when approaching a car from behind, if you lift your foot off the accelerator then your car will try to match the speed of the car on front using regen (this might only work for cars with Driver assist).

It is worth noting that, when using the SatNav, the car will make coast/regen decisions based on where you are going. For example, my route home from work includes a left turn off a shallow downhill. With satnav off, the car chooses to coast this section of the road. With satnav on, the car knows that it needs to slow down and so will select regen (before I have touched the brakes) to start slowing the car for the junction (again, this might only be with driver assist).

it’s worth noting that the amount of regen available depends on the type of car:

a) cars with a manual gearbox and a 12V alternator offer the least.
b) MHEV / automatic cars with their 48V starter/generator provide significantly more.

Last edited:
What @AdamInKent said mostly. However my experience with this coast (or restarting the engine due to location) is that even when I'm not using Sat Nav (screen is even off and VC on music info), it knows I'm approaching a junction or 'large' roundabout, and restarts the engine from coasting (off) mode even if i don't use the brakes or there are obstacles. Likewise if I'm coasting, and a vehicle enters my lane in front, relatively near (maybe at least 2-3 car lengths) the engine will auto restart I'm assuming from radar (which is smart).

Reactions: AdamInKent
So also the S3 has the starter generator with regen braking? I thought only 30 and 35 TFSIs had that. But S3 doesn't coast, right?

Reactions: vatdim
So also the S3 has the starter generator with regen braking? I thought only 30 and 35 TFSIs had that. But S3 doesn't coast, right?

Works differently depending on drivetrain.
  1. With a conventional engine (e.g. S3) works up to 80mph, engine is disengaged and car rolls without any engine braking (akin to dipping the clutch in manual).
  2. On a mild hybrid works up to 100mph in D o E drive select modes and engine can actually be switched off.
S3 does not have a starter generator

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. But if the S3 doesn't have the starter generator, does it then have a regenerator collecting braking energy that just charges the battery but does nothing more?

So in my s3 if I lift off when in auto mode I’ll feel the braking regen like an electric car?

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. But if the S3 doesn't have the starter generator, does it then have a regenerator collecting braking energy that just charges the battery but does nothing more?

Yes the can recoup energy but the above link its doing this via engine braking and when the car uses or does not use the alternator to charge the battery rather than recovering energy when applying brakes.

Feature has been for quite a few years now - my 2017 TTS has it

I 'think' the non MHEV cars with start stop restarts the engine with the customary 'spooling/cranking' of the starter motor from start/stop. Whereas the MHEV cars only the first cold start has this starter motor sound, but anything else when ignition is on and start/stop active, the engine just 'wakes up' sans any sound. Guess the latter is the work of the starter generator?

Whereas the MHEV cars only the first cold start has this starter motor sound, but anything else when ignition is on and start/stop active, the engine just 'wakes up' sans any sound. Guess the latter is the work of the starter generator?
That's right. The generator sound is actually sometimes audible, it's very high-pitched short electric-like beep.

That's right. The generator sound is actually sometimes audible, it's very high-pitched short electric-like beep.
Oh that's what that sound is...usually I can't hear anything as music is on, but on the odd occasion, I start my journey in Zen peace and quiet mode infotainment and Climate all OFF.....

So in my s3 if I lift off when in auto mode I’ll feel the braking regen like an electric car?
It's not a noticable braking force, like in an electric car.

Wish it was, because the servo on the 8Y is designed for EVs, and it's 'feel' is crap.

It's not a noticable braking force, like in an electric car.

Wish it was, because the servo on the 8Y is designed for EVs, and it's 'feel' is crap.
On manual cars, there’s only an alternator, so it can’t add much braking force. On the MHEVs the regen is noticeable, but still not as much as a full hybrid or electric car (both of which have larger motors).