Help Please CAPA upper timing chain tensioner replacement

LC-MS-Enjoyer

Reaction score
Looking at replacing the upper chain tensioners on my CAPA. I have seen others on here (Bobby) have replaced these in-situ.

This will be my first time replacing a tensioner on an engine with a chain and I have two (fairly) stupid questions.

- If I am to replace only the tensioner would I need to lock cam where its show in blue photo below

- once the tensioner is removed the chain will have slack, how can I ensure that it doesn't skip teeth on the intermediate gear below (green)

Cam lock
Intermediate gear

These are not my images

I will add this is a project car and am keen to use this as a learning experience - I have never undertaken this sort of work before.

The tensioners I changed are in Red below - you can do both of these by just removing the covers

View attachment 269966
Thanks Bobby, I thought this was the case. Do I need a fancy locking pin to lock that Cam gear in place? Or can I just whip out the old and replace with a new tensioner.

I can only find DIYs for replacing all the timing chains and tensioners, and at that point everything gets locked in place. Just trying to work out if its redundant for an upper tensioner replacement.