P2188 - check engine light turned on

vtmb

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2010 audi a3 8p, 1.4 tfsi and a few days ago while driving my check engine light came on. Today I put the tester on it and it read the error: P2188 System too rich at idle bank 1, also at EGR sys it showed Failed, what could it be?

edit: apparently my car doesnt have EGR, maybe my tester sucks idk
9B1623CD 9427 4D3B AB10 E1F819343246
E6367494 E207 4E69 985B D460B6C9C098

Last edited:
I have the same engine, and same error each summer!
Especially when the air-con is on. So here in Greece, I have this error the last 3 summers, from say May to September!
The car has now 165k km.
The car was bought used at 140k km, and according to its book service, it is supposed to have the chain replaced 10k km before I bought it.

My mechanic (independent) says that the chain might have lost a step or something but might be also something else that Audi would find.
He has too much jobs in his hands and don't want to bother. I know I must change him!

Anyway before this summer I spayed in the throtle body while the car was running a cleaner of Liqui Moly and this summer, the check engine has be shown in the dash MUCH less times so I think that maybe there are a lot of dirt in the intake.
This is the spray

How many km does yours has? Is it the first time you saw this error?

I have the same engine, and same error each summer!
Especially when the air-con is on. So here in Greece, I have this error the last 3 summers, from say May to September!
The car has now 165k km.
The car was bought used at 140k km, and according to its book service, it is supposed to have the chain replaced 10k km before I bought it.

My mechanic (independent) says that the chain might have lost a step or something but might be also something else that Audi would find.
He has too much jobs in his hands and don't want to bother. I know I must change him!

Anyway before this summer I spayed in the throtle body while the car was running a cleaner of Liqui Moly and this summer, the check engine has be shown in the dash MUCH less times so I think that maybe there are a lot of dirt in the intake.
This is the spray

How many km does yours has? Is it the first time you saw this error?

Mine just hit 200k km, first time i have the check engine since i bought the car like 10k km ago, i also noticed a petrol smell on the oil dipstick, so there must be something more, i thought about the high pressure fuel pump, i’ll take the car to my mechanic but he’s usually busy so i don’t think ill be able to drive it for a week until he can take me in