Gearbox / rear diff oil change intervals ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi :sm4:,

Can anyone tell me the official Audi age / mileage intervals for a gearbox and rear diff oil changes on a 2015 A4 Allroad B8.5 please ?? Or where I'd find that info ??

Cheers,
Graeme.

I don't know about the manual, but the s-tronic transmission has a 38K miles ATF & filter change schedule. The rear diff is officially sealed for life.

I don't know about the manual, but the s-tronic transmission has a 38K miles ATF & filter change schedule. The rear diff is officially sealed for life.
Although "sealed for life" is it possible to change the oil/fluid? Ive had my Audi A1 gearbox oil changed despite audi saying it is a sealed unit.

Rear diff, I’d look at around 100k miles. Audi will tell you it’s maintenance free. You can do earlier if you wish. Check fill plug unscrews before you drain it. Any sign of weeping then seals may need to be done.

If you want a complete VW Group version of the workshop manual, just reg with erWin and download all the available info for your car, or do what I did and buy the same thing from a 3rd party provider, in my case "easymanuals.co.uk" and in the form of a USB stick - I think. Then you can strip out all the stuff that is not relevant for your exact model to save disc space, maybe even strip out "production date" dependant stuff as well to avoid any confusion when getting back into into this workshop manual at a later date. One thing to be aware of (obviously), is that when getting this workshop manual from erWin, you are buying the latest version, ie VW Group will keep on updating as necessary, buying from "easymanuals.co.uk" means buying sometime that might be a few years old - but maybe for a now out of production model, that is not too much of an issue.

Reactions: Tiger-G
Thanks for the info on the diff, that's one less thing to worry about.

Any further info on a manual box ?? The car's got 52k miles on it.

On the manual box, well my car has only run just under 30K in 12.5 years (!!!), so all I've ever done is to check the oil level and topped up using the correct VW Group oil - one comment though, as the rear diff outside area is still completely dry, I was a bit lax in checking the oil level in the diff, but when I did, that rear diff housing needed maybe 0.125ltr to bring it back up to the "over flowing" state, I didn't expect that! The 6MT box only needed a "spot", ie I could have just left it as it was, but as I'd made the effort to buy both of these oils, I felt the need to use them! So, did Audi fill that rear diff correctly at initial assembly?

Reactions: Tiger-G
Could fluid temperature be causing the discrepancy?
I would not have thought so, I've never noticed that in my cars in the past - and typically I service our cars in the warm weather, so close to factory ambient temperature.

I would not have thought so, I've never noticed that in my cars in the past - and typically I service our cars in the warm weather, so close to factory ambient temperature.

I was thinking more if the car had been driven or not prior to checking, or if it's supposed to be warm when checking etc? Kind of like how the DSG fluid should be 40°C for the final fill, although I'm not sure if that's specially for the temp and more about the fluid getting around the clutches etc. (I know you've got a manual, but just using the DSG as an example)

I can see the logic and reasoning for checking the DSG and Haldex fluids at a specific temperature, but manual gearboxes and rear diffs are well established old tech in terms of oil needs, so I'd think that temperatures are not so significant.

Can't really think of anything else other than what you've mentioned. I wouldn't be overly concerned though