EA211 1.4 TFSI Spark Plug Torque

AJB

Reaction score
Does anyone have the current official torque spec for the spark plugs on an EA211 1.4 CoD? (140 bhp, CPTA engine, in an A3 Sportback made in 2013 if it makes any difference).

I asked years ago, last time I did them, and someone posted official figures of 30Nm (https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-4-tfsi-cod-spark-plug-torque-setting.336984/), but since then I read another post that someone had been told by NGK that that was wrong, and it should be 20Nm. I've also found a SEAT workshop document online which says 22Nm.

I need to change them again in a few weeks, and was just wondering if Audi have changed their official spec to 22Nm, or if they're still saying 30Nm.

Thanks!

Does anyone have the current official torque spec for the spark plugs on an EA211 1.4 CoD? (140 bhp, CPTA engine, in an A3 Sportback made in 2013 if it makes any difference).

I asked years ago, last time I did them, and someone posted official figures of 30Nm (https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-4-tfsi-cod-spark-plug-torque-setting.336984/), but since then I read another post that someone had been told by NGK that that was wrong, and it should be 20Nm. I've also found a SEAT workshop document online which says 22Nm.

I need to change them again in a few weeks, and was just wondering if Audi have changed their official spec to 22Nm, or if they're still saying 30Nm.

Thanks!
I had the same question when I replaced the plugs in my 1.4 tfsi EA211 recently. I checked with NGK, since I was using their platinum plugs, and they specify just 18 - 21.6 ftlb. I used a 20ftlb setting on my torque wrench, and although this seemed very low to me, the engine has run perfectly since.

hth

I had the same question when I replaced the plugs in my 1.4 tfsi EA211 recently. I checked with NGK, since I was using their platinum plugs, and they specify just 18 - 21.6 ftlb. I used a 20ftlb setting on my torque wrench, and although this seemed very low to me, the engine has run perfectly since.
Mine seemed fine with the 30Nm I did last time (22 ft lb), but then the SEAT spec I saw was 22Nm (16 lb ft) and someone else said that NGK told them 20Nm (just under 15 lb ft).

I expect the tolerances are huge, and any of the above will be fine! But given I've got a torque wrench and will be using it, it'd be great to be able to set it to Audi's official spec, if I can only work out what that is!!

Thanks for the feedback though, and I'm sure both yours and mine will be fine.

I changed the plugs on my car (2013 1.4 TFSI CPTA) a while back and used NGK's 20 Nm (15 lb ft) recommendation for the new plugs. Seemed low, but it works. I'd always suggest checking the plug gaps before you fit them. In my experience this 'preset gaps' idea is a bit flaky. There's nothing magic about the plugs and the gap can be corrected using the usual proper technique.

I think there may be some confusion between Nm and ftlbs. NGK specify 18- 21.6 FTLB, not Nm. See below:

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/correctly-install-spark-plugs.

So 20 ftlb, or around 30Nm, would be right.
This is the thread where someone said that NGK said 20Nm: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-please-ngk-spark-plugs-torque.406559/
I can't remember the thread size of the plugs without going out to the garage to check them - are you sure they're 14mm?

Yep, 14 mm.

Just went out and checked, and the ones I took out of mine last time are M12. Don't know if your slightly later 150bhp has different plugs to mine?

IMG 6157

Oh dear. Mea culpa. Plugs are 12 mm not 14, so the lower torque figures quoted by Mazman and A.JB are indeed those recommended by NGK.

Apologies

Mike
Ah - cool - great. You wrote that whilst I was posting the photo of the size of mine!! Either way, I'm sure yours is fine, I'm sure mine's fine with the 30Nm I did last time, but it'd just be great if someone had access to the official Audi workshop data to confirm the ideal torque!

in general tighten them until they stop give it a 15 to 30 degree turn... that works on every single spark plug if you don't have a torque wrench. Never had a problem using this method on any car and this includes some race engines pushing high boost.

in general tighten them until they stop give it a 15 to 30 degree turn... that works on every single spark plug if you don't have a torque wrench. Never had a problem using this method on any car and this includes some race engines pushing high boost.
A decent rule of thumb for spark plugs using a washer, but definitely don't exceed the lower figure on taper seat plugs, or the problem is getting them out after a period of service. Probably not an issue with your race engines that get frequent maintenance work.

Reactions: northpole
I replace plugs every year sure they can last longer but I like to chuck them in at every big service...I mean if I'm already replacing all fluids, filters and other consumables leaving them in would be like doing half a job.

Yes I'm a bit OCD with car maintenance, it keeps me from being bored.

One last bump in case anyone has the current official Audi torque available before I change them in a couple of weeks' time? If not then I think I'll go with 22Nm, as that's what the SEAT document I found said, and it seems similar to other 12mm plugs in alloy heads. I'm increasingly thinking that the original Audi spec when I last did them was wrong, and too high.

I know I could just do it by feel but I'd rather torque it correctly (also I'm not sure these are crush washers like old plugs used to be - on those you couldn't really go wrong doing it by feel on a brand new plug).

One last bump in case anyone has the current official Audi torque available before I change them in a couple of weeks' time? If not then I think I'll go with 22Nm, as that's what the SEAT document I found said, and it seems similar to other 12mm plugs in alloy heads. I'm increasingly thinking that the original Audi spec when I last did them was wrong, and too high.

I know I could just do it by feel but I'd rather torque it correctly (also I'm not sure these are crush washers like old plugs used to be - on those you couldn't really go wrong doing it by feel on a brand new plug).

e34649e1aead5160a1deda51c9a2d70b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: northpole and AJB
Interesting that that still says 30Nm. Thank you for posting it! From the pictures, I'm wondering if that's an earlier engine; the dipstick, coil packs and air intake ducting don't look quite like my EA211...

Interesting that that still says 30Nm. Thank you for posting it! From the pictures, I'm wondering if that's an earlier engine; the dipstick, coil packs and air intake ducting don't look quite like my EA211...

I’ve checked every variant from 1.2 right up to the 2.5 and they are all 30nm

Reactions: AJB and northpole
I’ve checked every variant from 1.2 right up to the 2.5 and they are all 30nm

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that! 30Nm is what I used I did last time I changed them.

I've just come across some SKODA info for a different version of the 1.4 EA211 engine, but looks basically identical to mine. It agrees with the SEAT info saying 22Nm

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 131055.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 131055.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 46