Problem What’s going on?

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Could be me or my devices but what’s happened to the forum?
Had a period of huge ads covering up 70-80% of the screen but that settled or some
Ad blocker kicked in.
I now have a completely new look to the forum when I view on my iPhone and iPad. With even worse ads than before. It’s like an in between the old mobile view and desktop view with the worse of both. Navigation on a mobile device isn’t very slick.
Any ideas folks, is it me or is this a genuine update/change?

Cheers

Reactions: JohnS3, dantdi and 8YARWY
Some nice upgrades on the site, some obvious and some very subtle.
The admin team are working super hard on getting a really sleek and up-to-date site for us all.
Ads are being addressed too.

:yes: :icon thumright:

Reactions: Rob Avant, 8YARWY and AlS3BE
As with any upgrade there will be numerous ongoing changes until its just right across the various platforms.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Must have missed the post about upgrades.
Hopefully the rest of the upgrades will go well.

mucking about on my phone and noticed it’s looks better and more user friendly in landscape than portrait.
My preference is always portrait as I have a chunky phone so can’t hold it long in landscape.
Maybe it’s just me, can’t teach old dogs new tricks :wink:

Reactions: Rob Avant
Is the Parts Request function still active? I clicked on it this morning, and all it will allow me to do is view historic requests, not start a new one.

Been away for a couple of weeks and just logged in… Thought I’d done something to my phone at first. Definitely a case of old dog, new tricks here too. I’m sure I’ll get used to it in a few months

We are doing software upgrades. We have been working really hard to give everyone a sleeker and faster forum. Things will be back to normal asap.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AlS3BE
Been away for a couple of weeks and just logged in… Thought I’d done something to my phone at first. Definitely a case of old dog, new tricks here too. I’m sure I’ll get used to it in a few months
Rob, if you click the bulb at the top of forum that will give you a more friendly experience on a mobile device.

Reactions: Rob Avant, Audi Bairn and AlS3BE
Is the Parts Request function still active? I clicked on it this morning, and all it will allow me to do is view historic requests, not start a new one.
Jeff, the parts request will hopefully be back soon. We are very busy with software upgrades

mucking about on my phone and noticed it’s looks better and more user friendly in landscape than portrait.
My preference is always portrait as I have a chunky phone so can’t hold it long in landscape.
Maybe it’s just me, can’t teach old dogs new tricks :wink:

if you click the bulb at the top of forum that will give you a more friendly experience on a mobile device.

Much better on a PC now Sandra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob, if you click the bulb at the top of forum that will give you a more friendly experience on a mobile device.
A proper light bulb moment! Looks very slick, I like it. Had also noticed that the desktop version looks a look better while browsing at working yesterday

Reactions: Sandra
I only really the PC web version to be honest which is looking to be working well, still a whacking big advert when selecting threads but otherwise much better.

can't rate the moile version though.

Reactions: Sandra
I’m really struggling to use the forums on iOS. Recently large adverts are absolutely everywhere and it’s hard to find the posts in a sea of adverts, this is a poor user experience and likely to drive members away from the site.

As I write this post I can see 20 adverts on the page, before finally being able to view this page I had to dismiss a full page pop up. Full page pop ups are considered extremely unfriendly in UI/UX design.

I wish you well in the redesign but for now I won’t be a frequent visitor to the site

I’m really struggling to use the forums on iOS. Recently large adverts are absolutely everywhere and it’s hard to find the posts in a sea of adverts, this is a poor user experience and likely to drive members away from the site.

As I write this post I can see 20 adverts on the page, before finally being able to view this page I had to dismiss a full page pop up. Full page pop ups are considered extremely unfriendly in UI/UX design.

I wish you well in the redesign but for now I won’t be a frequent visitor to the site
I'd recommend you give things a bit longer as the admin team are working hard to get things working smoothly.

The site does look to use advertising as a means of funding so there will always an element of pop-ups, hopefully admin can work it so we can all enjoy the best site it can be and still generate income to fund running the site.

From my personal perspective, pop adverts are an irritation full stop on any website, Some sites are worse than others and ASN does appear to have taken more on board recently.
As a paid-up member I don't feel it is really ideal to resort to paying for 3rd party ad blocking software to be able to view the site popup advert free etc , but I do also appreciate websites such as ASN cost money to run, and it can be costly, which, has to come from somewhere.
So the use of 3rd party ad blockers is the way to go provided it works.
It's that age-old adage, you can't please all the people all the time, but its worth doing as best as possible.

just spent 10 minutes adjusting the settings of goggle and ad choices, seems to work very well with only one small pop-up at the side, all rest have stopped.:yes:

There’s just one advert that annoys me on my iPhone and it’s at the top of the page where the the asn banner is. It covers up half the banner and the burger menu button where you open to select new posts etc. only way round it seems to scroll to top of page and some threads are huge to keep scrolling. It’s extra annoying as when you scroll it expands to cover up even more.
The rest is good. Got used to it now. Not tried on pc as I’m normally on my iPhone or iPad.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Audi Bairn
Big improvement on pc; still a bit ad-prone on my iPhone. Obviously a lot of work is being done so thanks to all.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Big improvement on pc; still a bit ad-prone on my iPhone. Obviously a lot of work is being done so thanks to all.
We are still working on the upgrades Jeff. If you can post up a screen shot when on a mobile device that would be very helpful

I no longer have issues, Sandra, with PC, Samsung Tablet or Samsung mobile phone. Is it me?:thumbs up:

I no longer have issues, Sandra, with PC, Samsung Tablet or Samsung mobile phone. Is it me?:thumbs up:
Thank you John. Will catch up with you next week

Reactions: 45bvtc
I still have 20 adverts on this page. Screen grab attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.png
    IMG_0460.png
    627.3 KB · Views: 65
Hi all we are still fighting with bits and bobs.. The banners have been a real pain and Google had been deciding to add their own locations and causing problems. We have turned off auto location and I hope that the huge banners will diminish. You may or not be aware but over the last month google has changed it's algorithms and this is cause people a few little problems. To sort these new challenges out we have been basically having to completely rebuild everything. Normally we would do this in the background and it would just happen. Because the change was having such a large impact on the site I took the leap of faith to just get on with it. You guy have been great and put up with what at points has been a little messy. Sorry for that but it will get better. Please do let us know when there is a problem and we will try and get it fixed. Thank you for all sticking with it and we hope that the changes will improve things in the long run.

Reactions: Kayobong, AlS3BE, Rob Avant and 2 others
IMG 3705

Same on iPhone safari

Running an ad blocker just makes it like it was a week ago on the desktop.

View attachment 270338

Same on iPhone safari

Running an ad blocker just makes it like it was a week ago on the desktop.
I only get the big ad like this on the top or the one that covers the banner and buttons.
All the others in the middles has disappeared after hitting the light bulb at the top.
Not running any third party ad blocker other than the safari built in one.

Spot on now.

I have to say this new overhaul of ASN really makes the forum actually better to access than tapacrap ever was able to.

Hats off to all concerned. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Sandra and Charlie Farley
All good now. Big advert and the one that covers banner has disappeared for me now.

Good job guys:icon thumright:

Reactions: Sandra, 8YARWY and Charlie Farley
PC Windows desktop platform is fine now in our house.:yahoo:

nice work Admin.:thumbs up:

If anyone has the time and different browsers installed it would be good to get feed back about those as well...
Looks good on safari and edge on iOS devices.
No huge adverts or banner type adverts anymore. Tried this with and without the lightbulb.
Feels fast and slick on both browsers.
Will try the laptop later.
Great job guys

Reactions: 8YARWY and Sandra