Show-and-tell: Refinishing sports exhaust tips

wuta3

Reaction score
Hi all,

This weekend I decided to re-finish the black exhaust tips on my OEM sports exhaust. They were in an absolute state, the lips barely had any paint left. The factory paint is VERY thin. In total it took around 15 hours to do. I've never done anything with paint before, and was looking forward to this!

This was the state of the tips cleaned up. Didn't realise the paint was actually gloss from factory. Luckily I got gloss black HT paint.

Signal 2023 09 03 192349 002

So, my armchair bodyshop youtube binging was all the training I needed. I set about the prep. I used 240 grit sandpaper to take them back to metal being mindful of not taking the welds too low. The main focus was getting all the pitting out from around the lip. To get them totally smooth I had to sand back to where I just saw a bronze coloured alloy (tin?) beneath the silvery alloy (stainless?). If I saw bronze, I knew I was removing too much material and backed off.

I used a wire wheel drill bit to get into the folded lip and key up the inside (which looks more like I sanded it). I wasn't too fussed about going too deep as I don't clean the inside and let the carbon build-up do the work of keeping the inside clean looking.

2023 09 03 19 31

Once I was happy with the surface, they were panel wiped down and the painting started. I used "FOLIATEC FT2125 Exhaust Pipe 2 Part Gloss Spray Paint" in black. Though it didn't say self etching, I was happy based on the Foliatec website that I didn't need primer. Time will tell on that one.

I did around 8 coats, letting it tack up slightly for 10 minutes or so between each coat. I am very happy with the end result:

Signal 2023 09 03 191609 007

It is glossy and thick / enamel looking. I am hoping it lasts longer than the micron-thick factory paint!

Anyway, if you have the time, certainly worth doing!

If I was going to do it again, I would use a HT black and a HT clear coat if possible (is that a thing?) and really gone for it flatting back coats of colour and clear to get a glassy finish. I think that'd have been excessive but really satisfying.

As they're exhaust tips, I think this job was more than enough and better than factory.

Attachments

• signal-2023-09-03-191609_004.jpeg
    signal-2023-09-03-191609_004.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, spartacus 68 and 8YARWY
Hi all,

This weekend I decided to re-finish the black exhaust tips on my OEM sports exhaust. They were in an absolute state, the lips barely had any paint left. The factory paint is VERY thin. In total it took around 15 hours to do. I've never done anything with paint before, and was looking forward to this!

This was the state of the tips cleaned up. Didn't realise the paint was actually gloss from factory. Luckily I got gloss black HT paint.

View attachment 270243

So, my armchair bodyshop youtube binging was all the training I needed. I set about the prep. I used 240 grit sandpaper to take them back to metal being mindful of not taking the welds too low. The main focus was getting all the pitting out from around the lip. To get them totally smooth I had to sand back to where I just saw a bronze coloured alloy (tin?) beneath the silvery alloy (stainless?). If I saw bronze, I knew I was removing too much material and backed off.

I used a wire wheel drill bit to get into the folded lip and key up the inside (which looks more like I sanded it). I wasn't too fussed about going too deep as I don't clean the inside and let the carbon build-up do the work of keeping the inside clean looking.

View attachment 270245

Once I was happy with the surface, they were panel wiped down and the painting started. I used "FOLIATEC FT2125 Exhaust Pipe 2 Part Gloss Spray Paint" in black. Though it didn't say self etching, I was happy based on the Foliatec website that I didn't need primer. Time will tell on that one.

I did around 8 coats, letting it tack up slightly for 10 minutes or so between each coat. I am very happy with the end result:

View attachment 270246

It is glossy and thick / enamel looking. I am hoping it lasts longer than the micron-thick factory paint!

If I was going to do it again, I would use a HT black and a HT clear coat if possible (is that a thing?) and really gone for it flatting back coats of colour and clear to get a glassy finish. I think that'd have been excessive but really satisfying.

As they're exhaust tips, I think this job was more than enough and better than factory.

I did my sports tips during lockdown and they were still like new when I sold the car.
dbe3f2e0b94fb0c193ff40f5a296a6ea.jpg

f95599b93b7a5675833875c0d7527f2e.jpg

8Y is showing signs on the left hand side of the paint coming off, on the inner edge though where it meets the stainless mesh, luckily they are removable which makes it a little easier to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra and wuta3
Hi all,

View attachment 270243

View attachment 270245

View attachment 270246

Nice job. Did you have to take the rear defuser off to get to the exhaust tips? If so was it easy to get off?

Nice job. Did you have to take the rear defuser off to get to the exhaust tips? If so was it easy to get off?
No, I just unbolted the exhaust mounts at the rear and one rubber mount. The exhaust dropped enough on the flex to access the tips all-round.