Vibration in park, sometimes the engine dies with no fault code

davsin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice, I just bought a 2016 Audi A4 B9 Quattro 252 Avant, when I got the car the previous owner told me it needed a camshaft position sensor but if I let it warm up to temp before driving it wouldn't be a problem.
So When I got it home a mechanic changed 1, then I found the position of a second, so he fitted a second sensor. in between times the car has had a kind of vibration in park, but once its warm it seems to go away.
a couple of times when I have been sitting in traffic the engine feels like it is pinking but the revs don't change on the dash, once it got so bad the engine cut out (this was before the second sensor was fitted).

Now the mechanic suggested the car needs to 'Relearn' that the sensor has been replaced so it may run a bit rough when cold, but I don't think that's right, I have had plenty of Audis over the years and from memory when it's fixed it's fixed (generally).

Does anyone have recommendations for where to look next, I read on google the vibrations if ignored could lead to engine failure, EEEK! The mechanic said it could be the timing chain, car came with no service history as he tried to tell me he serviced it himself, on the MOT history it shows the mileage jumped from 40k to 75k in one year, bit of a jump then its been a regular 6k every year till now 90k.

Any ideas on here?

it might be the camshaft sensor ring that is on the camshaft that is causing the problem... you just have to make sure that you do them both at the same time...