Faulty window switch, could this affect other door and keyfob closing?

kevina4

Reaction score
Hi, I've an Audi A4 B6 with just front electric windows, so just two switches in the driver's door. The one that controls my window has been on its way out for a while, it sticks so I have to push/pull it several times to get the window to go up/down, but it works.

On Thursday I parked up and went to close the passenger window, it would not close and the switch felt notchy and broken inside (like the driver side switch). I tried closing it with the switch on the passenger door and via the keyfob (by holding down the lock button), no response.

Had to leave it as had to put some shopping in the fridge. Went out a bit later to investigate further and everything working again. I've not opened the windows since for fear of being stuck open again.

My question is, could faulty switches on the driver's door stop the passenger door switch and the keyfob from operating? I've looked for a used switch and also online, without success and they are €60 from the dealer, I'd rather not pay that just yet if it's not plausible that the switch is the issue.

I can't directly answer your question. Few points for you -did you notice if the passenger window switch was still illuminated? Age of these cars now it's very common for wire breakage between the door and the body. Check the wiring loom inside the shielding by the door hinge. You'll find around 12 wires inside, most thin grade though the three ticker ones tend to begin breaking knocking out door functions sometimes intermittently. More common on drivers side for obvious reasons. If no function and no illumination could be the wire.

Finally just to check you didn't hear grinding or horrible noises from inside the door all this time your windows were start/stopping. That indicates faulty regulator (£20 swap)!