Had s3 a few days, getting a bad noise from passenger side front :(

pilla

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I have just purchased a 2011 s3 dsg sportback, its going well, however after some short spirited driving, when the gearbox is engaged and the engine is on overrun and turning left, ie: entering a roundabout, it gives this awful noise from the front left area, it sounds like a power steering line that has air in it or a trains brakes, not sure of the right word, like a metal on metal screech. or high pitched whine, its a strange one, i dont think its oil pump whine, its more metal on metal.. I hope its the exhaust touching the prop as its got a de-res botch job which looks quite close to the drivetrain, alternatively, could the clutch or gearbox cause this noise? Even rolling on a straight road at about 30mph, select neutral and coasting whilst turning left to right will give the issue, so its doing it when the gearbox is disengaged also , but only when turning left. Can anybody help me on this. Many thanks. Pilla.

when the gearbox is engaged and the engine is on overrun and turning left, ie: entering a roundabout, it gives this awful noise from the front left area
Even rolling on a straight road at about 30mph, select neutral and coasting whilst turning left to right will give the issue, so its doing it when the gearbox is disengaged also , but only when turning left
So are you saying it's more pronounced the gearbox is engaged or doesn't it make a difference?
I'd be checking the left wheel for play, taking it off and having a look at the brakes & suspension

Hiya, i think i found the issue. botched exhaust rubbing on prop when at certain angle/load

Attachments

• 1000004705.jpg
    1000004705.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: ahtcap