G8 Remap but still only 146.7 BHP????

Ozzyb

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have had a G8 remap done by slipstream Deutsch a year ago. They advised that they have icreased my BHP from 150 to 190 at the wheels so should be around 176 on the road. I have just been to Surrey Rolling Road and had a test done. The test showed my BHP was in fact only 146.7. They said your car is standard. Now when i contacted Slipstream they advised and i quote.....
"For a 150bhp to be pushing 146.00 in the condition your car was in is
not possible without it being mapped. If we restore you original file and
take it for a run on rolling road then you will notice your BHP drop even
further."

Now, my car has had a head gasket rebuild but my car has been running fine since and felt quick. Is there any truth in the comment above and how can i resolve this problem?

with the figures quoted, are they from the wheels or the flywheel?

Well i believe this is from the wheels

Manufacturers quoted BHP is from the flywheel, so if your getting 146.7 at the wheels, then thats definitely above stock.

I know little about this, whats the difference between the 2??

At the flywheel figures are generally banded about as they are higher figures so look better on paper and in the pub :)

At the wheel (wheel horsepower as the yanks like to call it) figures are after the various losses from transmission/running gear are taken into account.

The S3 suffers from massive transmission losses so at the flywheel figures of 265bhp actually translate to between 200 and 220 (ish) at the wheels...

I think you answered your own question in your very first line where you said you had a remapp by slipstream deutshce! !
Do a quick search and you will find there are a few incidences of their great workmanship on here! !!!

BTW, would always help if you post details of the car and engine you have as well as any other mods. I rpesume yours is an AGU or AUM engine code 1.8t?

Has "Sirus the Virus" been at his excellent self again I wonder....!?!?! You should have more than that power, I am sure if you ask Sirus he will fit the "red 5v" badged engine cover that is good for 10hp alone! lol

Thanks Guys, I've been advised by the Guy at Surrey Rolling Road to go and see someone at PCM TUning in Banbury, he's an Ex AMD tuner and he can use VAG-Com to see if any of my components are failing and causing this reduction in BHP???

Ozzyb said:
Thanks Guys, I've been advised by the Guy at Surrey Rolling Road to go and see someone at PCM TUning in Banbury, he's an Ex AMD tuner and he can use VAG-Com to see if any of my components are failing and causing this reduction in BHP???

Ed is indeed ex AMD and comes highly recommended. I think the only bad thing we've heard about him is 'slipping timescales' but that's only because they are so busy, which isn't a bad thing!

190bhp at the flywheel would equate to about 150bhp at the wheels so I don't know what question you are actually asking?

But will VAG-COM determin whether i have had a remap or not? Sorry for the questions but i feel i've been cheated and fancy paying Sirus a visit if he has!!! Is there any local recommended tuners that anyone knows of? I live Ealing, London

Slipstream are saying they've mapped it to 190 at the wheels.

Whats your car ozzy - 190 at the wheels would be in excess of what a remap on an otherwise standard 2wd 1.8t can be mapped to i would imagine

surry rolling road allway makes your cars look under powerd been there a few times wouldnt go there again we tested the rollers with 5 other rolllers that we went to and his are well out

I have a 1.8T AGU engine 1999 T reg. Who do i believe then and should i just pay for another Remap from a reputable company?

146bhp at the wheels proves the cars been remapped, what other proof do you need?

Andy, Ozzy believes that he has 196whp, which from a remap alone is near impossible on an AGU.

Ozzy you must be getting confused by the differences between crank and wheel horsepower. CHP is usually quoted in the UK rolling roads and 196 chp sounds about right. I can only assume the place you got yours dyno'd was quoting WHP of 146.

I think the 196 is at the flywheel.
146 at wheels souonds about right for a mapped agu.

How does it drive?

Yes I know I thought we'd established that 190 at the wheels is pure fiction.

we have, surely

146whp is fine, car's mapped