Audi a3 8v 35TDI Sport shock absorber/springs replacement - which to choose?

nonicker

Reaction score
I need to change front and rear shock absorbers and springs.
Which shock absorbers and springs do you recommend?
Bilstein B4, Bilstein B8, Sachs, Kayaba...? Or just to buy original Audi absorbers and springs?

The car is A3 8V Sportback 2019, 35 TDI 150ks, Sport, Stronic.
I think Sport model is lowered standard -15mm.
(i dont want to lower the car or firm the suspension more then it is now)

Nonicker

If your main focus is comfort, you might want to look at Koni Special Active shock absorbers. They get excellent reviews, and appear to offer better comfort than standard shocks, together with sporty handling. They will be my choice when the time comes to change.

Also, have you confirmed that you have the lowered “sport“ suspension? I think this was an option, but as far as I am aware the standard suspension on Sport models (like mine) is “dynamic”, which is not lowered.

Reactions: dantdi
I have confirmed its sport suspension. I got an offer for OE replacement parts: front/rear shock absorbers Sachs, front/rear springs Eibach and everything is changed.
So far the ride is ok and smooth.
Though one thing worries me. I forgot to measure distance/height from the floor to bumper before and after change.
Original springs front length 289mm
Original springs rear length 312mm
I installed Eibach front springs length 289mm (same as OE)
Eibach rear springs length 316 mm > slight difference from original springs (+4mm).

At the moment distance from floor to bumper on wheel center is: 67cm front, 67.5cm rear. Are there any A3 owners that could measure their distance and post it here?

Height

I’ve just measured the heights on my 2017 MY (facelift) Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI.

Front 67.7 cm

Rear 67.5 cm

Approximate measurements using tape measure off concrete garage floor, and essentially the same on both sides of the car.

This is with the car unloaded, and with nearly new tyres (7mm tread depth) inflated to correct standard pressures.

The car has the “dynamic” suspension which is standard for Sport models. It does not have the “sport” suspension option which I understand lowers the car by 15mm.

hth

Reactions: nonicker
Hm, this actually means that Eibach R13605 rear springs might be wrong height.
Although its possible due 2.0tdi engine weight that front of the car is lowered by 0.7cm.