APG head on AMK block?!

LevelUp23

Reaction score
Hi,

Have 2001 s3 for a little while now, been running absolutely fine. Went to change some breather pipes and realised it has an APG head! Is it the same specification as the AMK as it's meant to have or are there any pros cons to this??

Cheers

Reactions: LevelUp23
The 20v head castings are all essentially the same... differences in castings are SAI port or not and small/large port and on some early heads (AEB for example) the cam tensioner mount point sticks out further requiring machining

You would be ill advised to use the head as a straight swap but if you use the casting and transfer the valves, cams, VVT etc over then it will work

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply. This was done before I had it, I've only just noticed. As the car has been running fine, I'm assuming I can take it that's what's been done? Or is there a way I can confirm?

Cheers

It's meant too, it pulls well, so I'm assuming it was all swapped over, is there a way to tell if it has been? Can I see something?
gearbox side of the head... there will be an electrical connector plugged into the chain tensioner if it has VVT

As this was already done prior to your ownership my main concern would be if they swapped over the valves and cams as these in this case are specific to the turbo/vvt engines... NA exhaust valves in aren't sodium filled and can potentially fail (tbh they fail with the correct valves too but would be quicker if incorrect) and the VVT cams centre inlet valve lobe is offset to allow for the cam advance clearance

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look and it's there.

I noticed on the same side - as you look at the engine from the front - the bottom right at the back of the engine has a hole and what looks like two holes for bolt and something should be there. Does that make sense?
I'll get a picture when the weather is a bit bitter as I'll have to remove some breather pipes to get a good one.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics of when I changed my tensioner on the agn head to show location etc OldNew

I ran an APG head on my 500BHP TT for quite a while with no issues. I had bought a complete head with cams to use the cams only. After the Wossner piston failed and scrapped the engine I rebuilt a new engine and used the APG head.
As stated earlier the head casting and porting is the same as a BAM small port. It made 510bhp the same as the BAM.
As Tuffty says if they have used the APG exhaust valves these are solid rather than the hollow sodium filled which help to keep the exhaust valve head cooler. I didn't use the APG exhaust valves, I changed them out for supertech Inconel items. Intake valves are the same as a turbo.
The AMK head has a small washer under the exhaust valve springs to increase the spring loading due to the higher back pressure in the exhaust manifold on K04 turbo cars. If your car has stock mapping it will probably run fine. Even on a remapped car probably be Ok as long as it's a good map. The sodium filled valves fail on turbo engines and the upgrade for these is to replace them with solid Inconel valves.

Reactions: LevelUp23 and MPH