Help Please Cambelt change interval query - A4 B8 2.0 TDi 60,000 miles

Ant L

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for advice please as a Google search shows contradictions.

I have an A4 B8 S-Line (170 bhp) year 2014. The cambelt was changed in 2019 by Audi just before I bought it.

It was then on 25,000 miles and is now approaching 60,000 miles. As I understand it I need to start planning to have it done next year, am I right?

Also, any recommendations for garages that can do the work in the North West of England (Merseyside)?

Cheers

Not sure about that particular engine, but on 4-cylinder diesels I’ve always based it on 5 years or 60k miles. It’s an interference engine, and it’s not just the deteriorating belt, but potential bearing failure on the water pump or the tensioner pulley itself. No point asking Audi as you’ll get conflicting advice, as their service reception will probably give you the wrong information anyway. Volkswagen AG are constantly issuing new guidelines. If it breaks though, you take the hit, so worth it for peace of mind..

Get timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley done. You should probably opt for changing auxilliary belts too, as car will be in service position.

Reactions: Ant L
Not sure about that particular engine, but on 4-cylinder diesels I’ve always based it on 5 years or 60k miles. It’s an interference engine, and it’s not just the deteriorating belt, but potential bearing failure on the water pump or the tensioner pulley itself. No point asking Audi as you’ll get conflicting advice, as their service reception will probably give you the wrong information anyway. Volkswagen AG are constantly issuing new guidelines. If it breaks though, you take the hit, so worth it for peace of mind..

Get timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley done. You should probably opt for changing auxilliary belts too, as car will be in service position.
Thanks for the advice.

What can I expect to pay for this work in the UK, ball park figure?

Audi main dealer, then circa £750+ for cambelt and water-pump, a trusted independent, then probably around £550 (that includes VAT).

Reactions: Ant L
I finally got round to contacting Audi this morning and to replace the cambelt and water-pump (with a discount) is £926!

I finally got round to contacting Audi this morning and to replace the cambelt and water-pump (with a discount) is £926!
No reason to go to Audi. Hopefully someone on the forum who knows trusted Indy in the Merseyside area can advise.