Hot up top

markthenewt

Reaction score
Hi there. First post in this section as I have come from a 1.8t to A4 b7 avant brd tdi

Cut a long story short I had bent valves and broken rockers due to the tensioner giving way.

I've retapped M10 to m8 stud conversion, new idlers, waterpump,belt etc and I have rebuilt the head with new valves, rockers, cams and valve stem seals head gasket l and new tandem pump gasket and all the other gaskets, manifold egr valve/cooler

Car is all back together now but I'm sure it's not right. I've took it a drive and all seems well on that front but everything up top feels really hot. The tandem pump, fuel lines to pump the fuel filter, intake manifold and the egr cooler are all really hot.

I don't remember it being this hot. Am I overthinking this or do they all get very hot?

Measuring block 7 @90c is saying fuel temp 80c and intake temp 30c

Also when it's as hot as what it is bearing in mind it's not overheating coolant wise and fans are kicking in as they should , its like because it's hot it makes it really sluggish to start, like it's got a flat battery but fine from cold.

Battery and alternator are fine as I've checked with a tester.

Can anyone help please

Thanks for your time.

Hi there. First post in this section as I have come from a 1.8t to A4 b7 avant brd tdi

Cut a long story short I had bent valves and broken rockers due to the tensioner giving way.

I've retapped M10 to m8 stud conversion, new idlers, waterpump,belt etc and I have rebuilt the head with new valves, rockers, cams and valve stem seals head gasket l and new tandem pump gasket and all the other gaskets, manifold egr valve/cooler

Car is all back together now but I'm sure it's not right. I've took it a drive and all seems well on that front but everything up top feels really hot. The tandem pump, fuel lines to pump the fuel filter, intake manifold and the egr cooler are all really hot.

I don't remember it being this hot. Am I overthinking this or do they all get very hot?

Measuring block 7 @90c is saying fuel temp 80c and intake temp 30c

Also when it's as hot as what it is bearing in mind it's not overheating coolant wise and fans are kicking in as they should , its like because it's hot it makes it really sluggish to start, like it's got a flat battery but fine from cold.

Battery and alternator are fine as I've checked with a tester.

Can anyone help please

Thanks for your time.
you might want to make sure the timing is spot on... a diesel starts on compression.. when the timing is too retarded or too advanced the engine struggles to start so if it doesn't start up within 2 full revolutions of the crank (that means within 1 or 2 seconds) when cold the timing isn't right.

if the timing is right check the slack on the timingbelt, you might have overtightened it or it's a bit too loose... (i doubt it though as you've driven it already so i think the above is more likely)

Hi

The timing is spot on. Used the correct crank lock tool and the 2 pins in the cam sprockets inserted all the way through so they go into the head. Done more than 2 revolutions to check and double check that the pins and crank lock go back in so I don't think it's a timing issue. The arrow on the tensioner is still in the middle of where it should be.

What's concerning me is how hot it is getting as I don't remember it being this hot. I've had the rocker cover off to check for any heat/friction marks that could cause the heat but all is fine with that, oil is up there and nothing is blueish from heat/friction on cams lobes or rocker arms/ rollers.

Coolant fine and flowing as it should, heaters are working as they should and fans are kicking in as they should.

I'm going to see another A4 owner today to compare heat differences with our cars to put my mind at rest if it is too hot or not.

I don't have any fault codes, everything seems to be checking out in the measuring blocks just fine.

It's a weird one for sure that I can't get my head around!....

Continuation....

Took a good drive and it's fine now. Not getting hot like it was. I think me having it ticking over for long periods of time was the problem.

Also starts fine now straight away after a run. Again think it was all just too hot from ticking over.

Such a relief!

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate

Reactions: northpole
Well after taking the lot apart we tend to over check... if all is fine now it could.have been extra warm because it was a warm day and you just did the job so as you said over carefully checking and having the car idle while.doimg so for a long.period of time...

I've been there myself ;)..
You did a good job now you can enjoy the car again

Reactions: markthenewt
Thanks mate yeah it's nice to have my own car back, the Mrs Volvo don't do it for me lol but yeah , I couldn't work it out as I did everything by the book with official Audi technicians manual so every nut and bolt torqued up to the correct spec, the proper VW Anaerobic sealant for the cam girdle/cap and all the other bits it needed. New bolts etc has all cost a small fortune and I was starting to worry I'd have to do it all again.

It was a warm day and think that contributed to it, especially now looking back the intercooler would have been inoperative as I wasn't driving it.

I've just come to work in it, done the 20 miles no problem and pulls well again. No smoke now either (was smoking a tad before) so that's a bonus too!

Just need to get my torsion and lph in spec now as its rather down on mpg but for now I'm just happy it's running again.

Sounds like you did a very thorough job on that, nice one.
Can't beat a bit of heat soak sometimes...ask me I know....2007 WRX STi with a top mount interwarmer after idling / slow traffic :yum:

Reactions: markthenewt and northpole
Hi Matt

Ouch yes that's sounds harsh I'd be worried about it overheating lol. I do love a Subaru. I had a go in a friend's when he had it years ago, the bugeye one and I was amazed at how planted it felt!

Thanks, yeah I had to do a thorough job as I'd already spent loads on it ,am at the point of no return with it, it's had all new suspension, new 40mm lowering springs new shocks and a new clutch and flywheel and also just got some brand new wings for it before this happened which is next on the list of things to do.

I got it cheap and knew it needed some work but I'm feeling optimistic I'll have it running a looking great again soon

Hi Matt

Ouch yes that's sounds harsh I'd be worried about it overheating lol. I do love a Subaru. I had a go in a friend's when he had it years ago, the bugeye one and I was amazed at how planted it felt!

Thanks, yeah I had to do a thorough job as I'd already spent loads on it ,am at the point of no return with it, it's had all new suspension, new 40mm lowering springs new shocks and a new clutch and flywheel and also just got some brand new wings for it before this happened which is next on the list of things to do.

I got it cheap and knew it needed some work but I'm feeling optimistic I'll have it running a looking great again soon
Hi Mark,
It is incredibly planted, Hawkeye WRX STi Spec D...rare as only 300 ever made. Had it 11 years now, flew to Edinburgh and picked it up in Falkirk. Spec D is cosmetically toned down to look more like a WRX to the untrained eye. Silver Enkei STi wheels not gold, WRX spoiler, black leather / carpet / door cards, no tints etc.

However, it's a full fat STi underneath. Also the widetrak trims on the rear arches are a subtle giveaway to 6 speed manual STi goodness.
Very little refinement, I used to daily it until a few years ago.
You have to drive IT...or it will drive YOU. I've had it fully forged.....twice.....
In a world where Subaru owners are judged by the rear spoiler, it makes for great fun and many a fed up BMW driver let me tell you....man if looks could kill hahaha

Here's a few off topic shots :

Goodwood 1

Nsf 1

Paint 2

Engine 1

Happy days....until this happened on cylinder 1 - nice! New block (both halves) please! I cannot describe the amount of white coolant smoke this caused.
Then wouldn't turn over as it hyro'd overnight. Subaru 2.5 EJ257 engine ....great when running well....great for Subaru anxiety! This is rare to be honest, but not unheard of.

Eng pic 1

Eng pic 2

Attachments

• Goodwood 2 .jpg
    Goodwood 2 .jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: markthenewt